Queensland trip - where to dive??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I am trying to book a dive trip on a liveaboard this September in Australia for myself and my husband.
We will be staying in Noosa but all my research points towards the Cairns area for great diving on a 3 or 4 day liveaboard.
We are experienced divers, in our late 50's and have been diving in many areas of the world but never Australia, we would like something a little more remote with great marine life but I am getting over whelmed with all my research at this point and thought I would join scubaboard to hopefully get some great advice.
I thought I had nailed it by possibly flying to Cairns and booking a Mike Ball expedition, but now I am not sure which expedition as i was looking at Cod Hole but I am being advised to go further out - where would that be??????
Or, if I should start to research something in the Southern GBR, does that even compare to the north???
I have been told to research Swain Reef but cannot even seem to find liveaboards there??? Does anyone even recommend the Southern part of the GBR in comparison with Cairns and who recommends Mike Ball and which expedition?
Confused:shocked2:!!

I have dived a couple of live aboards out of Cairns where I took my son. Diving was ok but not that impressive. I have heard good things about the mike ball trips but have not done one. With only three or four days you are not going to get much diving on the northern less travelled reefs. I have dived Lady Elliot Island several times which is located on the southern end of the GBR. Each trip I have experienced great reef diving (healthy reefs) and they have mantas there year round, but not so many in the winter months (but the migrating whales in the winter months make up for it). We normally do two boats dives a day. Dive sites are usually less than ten minutes by boat. The island is located on the reef and you can get some very good snorkelling during the day. You fly to the island by small plane. Flights leave from Harvey bay, Bundaberg and Gold Coast. The accommodation is basic, cabins with a/c and their own bathroom. They also have tent type accommodation with shared facilities. I choose the cabins with a lounge room and on the waters edge. Food is basic but good and plenty of it. From memory breakfast and dinner included in the cost and you buy your own lunch. Heron island is reasonably close to lady Elliot but I have not dived it. It also has a reputation as a great diving location. Hope this helps.

Coral sea expedition for four days is amazing. I did one on the Spirit of Freedom and loved it. I think mike ball does the same trip too.

Back
Top Bottom