Question Quarry Diving and Infections

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

G2fspro

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I was recently diving at a local quarry and it seems every time I dive this quarry, I end up with an ear infection no matter what I do whether I use ear beer, prescription drops, an ear dryer etc. The last time I dove there, I developed a nasty bacterial abscess on both armpits. I didn’t think much about it but found at least 2 other divers had the same thing and both dove around the same time I did. I’m not sure if I should reach out to the quarry and let them know or if this is a common thing with diving in quarries. It hasn’t happened to me anywhere else and I meticulously clean my gear.

White Star or Gilboa?

And yes, definitely reach out to the quarry.

Gear question: do you have your own wetsuit or did you rent from the quarry?

White Star or Gilboa?
I’d prefer not to say as I don’t want to cause any issues for the quarry especially if it’s unfounded. I’m more less just seeking advice if it’s a diver/gear problem or a potential water quality issue. The same issue appearing with 3 divers just seemed odd. If it seems like a water issue…I more or less just wanted to give a heads up to the quarry so they are aware in case it’s happened to others. Not looking to make any waves for anyone no pun intended.

I’d prefer not to say as I don’t want to cause any issues for the quarry especially if it’s unfounded. I’m more less just seeking advice if it’s a diver/gear problem or a potential water quality issue. The same issue appearing with 3 divers just seemed odd. If it seems like a water issue…I more or less just wanted to give a heads up to the quarry so they are aware in case it’s happened to others. Not looking to make any waves for anyone no pun intended.

Did you rent a wetsuit from the quarry or do you have your own? What about the other divers you know with this issue?

I have all of my own equipment including wetsuit. All of my gear is thoroughly rinsed, cleaned, and air dryed after each day of diving.

I have all of my own equipment including wetsuit. All of my gear is thoroughly rinsed, cleaned, and air dryed after each day of diving.

Well, that rules out that. Were the others there the same weekend?

Glad I have no plans to dive at either for the next few months. I dive dry anyway.

Both divers dove a few days before me. I will reach out to the quarry. I have really considered doing dry suit, especially now. Thanks for the quick responses!

would be interesting to get the abscesses tested to find what bacteria is in them. afterwards, see if that same bacteria is present in the quarry.

That’s actually a really good point. My physician just prescribed an oral antibiotic. I believe the other diver actually had a blood draw.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom