Quarry conditions (White Star& Portage)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

glen99

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
My wife and I are going to take a couple of days and dive White Star and Gilboa next week. We were thinking about a stop at Portage but conditions have been so bad the last 2 years I don't know if it is worth the time. Has anyone been to Portage this year, can you update on conditions?

thanks

glen

My wife and I are going to take a couple of days and dive White Star and Gilboa next week. We were thinking about a stop at Portage but conditions have been so bad the last 2 years I don't know if it is worth the time. Has anyone been to Portage this year, can you update on conditions?

thanks

glen

I dove Gilboa yesterday. Because of rain, the first 25-30 ft. was about 20 ft. viz. The deeper we went, the better it got; about 40'. viz at and beyond the tubes. IMO Portage is not good on its best day.

Portage was actually 20-30 last week according to one of my Facebook friends. Not great but not as bad as I have seen it. Last year at the DAN BBQ it was bad. Could barely see the fuselage from one wing tip. A week later a buddy reported that you could see from tip to tip. It had rained hard the couple days before the BBQ and they actually got over an inch the day before we arrived. It is highly susceptible to run off. But I go every year at least once because I like the place and I like Jeff and Monica. He doesn't put up with any crap and it and the DAN BBQ have a special place with me for a number of reasons. I now look forward to the talks Dan Orr and I end up having every year. Portage is a good place to practice Nav and S&R as well as do OW checkouts. I just wish it wasn't a 5 hour drive. I'll be at Gilboa the weekend before the DAN BBQ this year doing Sidemount and Rebreather workshops with Steve Lewis (Doppler) and then back out to Portage for the DAN weekend.

Glad to hear about Portage. None of the buds in my dive circles have been there in a while. I was last there at the Dan BBQ in 2011. I "found" the plane by bumping into it. There was a young lady diving/snorkeling near us wearing a bikini. Surreal. Yes, I put that in my logbook.

Have not been to Whitestar yet. Will go soon.

Gilboa gets my vote for consistently good viz.

Last edited:
I was at Whitestar today vis was about 30' watertemp 48f .

Thanks for the info everyone. As long as the weather holds out later in the week we will be going to White Star and Portage. I cut my teeth at Portage and my wife has never been. I will be sure to post a report (hopefully positive...)

glen

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom