Quarantine in Philippines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We recently returned from a liveaboard trip to Tubbataha Reef in the Philippines. We ended up in lockdown in a government facility. This was a horrible experience to say the least. We were required to have a negative test before entering the Philippines, and one before we boarded the Discovery Palawan. We later learned that one guest had a questionable test result prior to boarding. 3 days into the trip, this guest took a self-test, and was Covid positive. The boat operator reported the information to the local authorities. They met the boat at the port upon our return. We were taken to a dirty, poorly maintained facility, where we were detained for 48 hours before going to a government controlled test site. Results of the government tests - 16 of 21 passengers positive and 0 of 27 crew positive. We self-administered rapid tests, which were all negative. We were asymptomatic. They held the positives in this facility for another 6 days. The conditions were deplorable! If we had any idea this would have happened, we never would have travelled 9,000 miles! If you are going on a liveaboard, find out the protocols for Covid outbreaks!

The conditions were deplorable! If we had any idea this would have happened, we never would have travelled 9,000 miles! If you are going on a liveaboard, find out the protocols for Covid outbreaks!
Did you not consider taking out any insurance before you traveled?

We had trip insurance. Unfortunately, trip insurance does not cover lost time, and mental anguish and stress! After the liveaboard we planned to spend 8 or 9 days diving in Puerto Galera. We missed out on seeing the beauty of the Philippines. Instead, we dealt with government bureaucracy in a place where citizens are controlled by the government and fear tactics.

I don’t think you’re going to get too much sympathy here. You went to a third world country. It’s not like you were in Europe.

While I sympathize with the OP, this is but one of the scenarios that folks can find themselves in many, many countries. All of this has been exacerbated by COVID which has seen many previously tourist friendly countries imposing strict and sometimes harsh measures.

Anyone who is travelling these days needs to a) do some basic research on their travel destination vis a vis personal security; and b) have a plan in place to deal with COVID scenarios. This include registering overseas travel with their State Department equivalent so that local Embassy/Consulate personnel can provide support. While this support can sometimes be limited, it is a starting point.

Covid-19 is still a high risk traveling anywhere especially in confined places like aircraft or LOBs and I wouldn't expect quarantine facilities to be luxurious even in first world countries.

We recently returned from a liveaboard trip to Tubbataha Reef in the Philippines. We ended up in lockdown in a government facility. This was a horrible experience to say the least. We were required to have a negative test before entering the Philippines, and one before we boarded the Discovery Palawan. We later learned that one guest had a questionable test result prior to boarding. 3 days into the trip, this guest took a self-test, and was Covid positive. The boat operator reported the information to the local authorities. They met the boat at the port upon our return. We were taken to a dirty, poorly maintained facility, where we were detained for 48 hours before going to a government controlled test site. Results of the government tests - 16 of 21 passengers positive and 0 of 27 crew positive. We self-administered rapid tests, which were all negative. We were asymptomatic. They held the positives in this facility for another 6 days. The conditions were deplorable! If we had any idea this would have happened, we never would have travelled 9,000 miles! If you are going on a liveaboard, find out the protocols for Covid outbreaks!
That sucks. Sounds to me like one of those situations where maybe the individual might have an accident and hypothetically slips on the deck and maybe goes in the water when no one is looking. Accidents happen all the time.
I completely feel your frustration and disappointment. I would have cried.
I don’t think you’re going to get too much sympathy here. You went to a third world country. It’s not like you were in Europe.
Shite happens in Europe, too, Marie. Doesn't matter where you are. Disruptions to a much anticipated trip are depressing.

I don't consider working plumbing a luxury:)
You've never been in jail, have you? Wait, that plumbing was working, just wide out in the open. Never mind, I don't know what I'm talking about.

Hey, at least I admit it... ahem, ahem...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom