Quality SMB

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divingdon

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm having problems finding a good quality SMB in Sharm el Sheikh, Egypt. The SMB I bought recently leeks like a sieve, and the other confirgurations on sale here are cheap and nasty. Any pointers? thanks

Hello Divingdon,

sorry for replying so late. Our internet is still very restricted here after the earthquake in Taiwan destroyed some lines.
Our Surface Marker Buoys are not yet available in Egypt (but we are working on it) .
Meanwhile you could purchase one online at our website http://www.surfacemarker.com. We do deliver to Egypt via DHL.
The Surface Marker costs 45 US$ plus shipping (flat rate for egypt 12 US$ for up to 4 pieces, 5 pieces ship for free)
We are looking forward fot get some dealers for that region at one point.

Totally impressed by the quality: I've seen essentially the same model for more than three times the price in my LDS. Check http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270075724986 .. they sell them in yellow or orange, ship world-wide and have them for auctions and for sale. They seem to be a store, but they were friendly, fast and and responsive.

HTH -
two.crows

Hi scubaaronh
  1. The Surface Marker Buoy does not have a one way flap;(duck bill valve set up) there is a throat or restrictor at the bottom end to channel the air into the buoy. The buoy and Webbing Deployment System (WDS) have been designed in such a manner that:
when the buoy is inflated from 5-6m (15-18ft) and released, the restrictor and the weight of the Brass Snap Hook (on the WDS) and the weight of the Stainless Steel Ring will always keep the open end of the buoy far enough underwater to ensure that air does not spill from the unit and deflate.

on the surface, once the WDS has been secured with the Bungy, you can let go of the whole unit with out worrying about the unit deflating (there is enough weight on the whole WDS to ensure that air does not spill from the buoy even in a swell.

1. Therefore there is no need for an OPV (Over Pressure Valve). By eliminating the need for and OPV the unit is much more compact and easier stow as well as being able to fully deflate the unit in a matter of seconds for stowage.
Note: The Surface Marker Buoy WDS was designed for recreational divers doing safety stops and was not designed for technical decompression divers.
For further information please don’t hesitate to contact me.

Udo Hartig:
Hi scubaaronh
  1. The Surface Marker Buoy does not have a one way flap;(duck bill valve set up) there is a throat or restrictor at the bottom end to channel the air into the buoy. The buoy and Webbing Deployment System (WDS) have been designed in such a manner that:
when the buoy is inflated from 5-6m (15-18ft) and released, the restrictor and the weight of the Brass Snap Hook (on the WDS) and the weight of the Stainless Steel Ring will always keep the open end of the buoy far enough underwater to ensure that air does not spill from the unit and deflate.

on the surface, once the WDS has been secured with the Bungy, you can let go of the whole unit with out worrying about the unit deflating (there is enough weight on the whole WDS to ensure that air does not spill from the buoy even in a swell.

1. Therefore there is no need for an OPV (Over Pressure Valve). By eliminating the need for and OPV the unit is much more compact and easier stow as well as being able to fully deflate the unit in a matter of seconds for stowage.
Note: The Surface Marker Buoy WDS was designed for recreational divers doing safety stops and was not designed for technical decompression divers.
For further information please don’t hesitate to contact me.

Thanks you for all the information. I am tring to decide what to buy. There are just to many choices out there. Thanks you again that answered a few questions

Can't go wrong with a Carter. I have 2 of the 35 lb. ones. Order direct or LeisurePro stocks them also.

http://www.carterbag.com/personalfloat.html

The flap thing on the bottom is just amazing in how easy it is to put air into, but not to let it out. I've tried to drain water out the flap and figured out after struggling for a long time that it is far easier to simply use the relief valve - the flap is that solid.

Some will say it is big, but I like the safety of it being very tall relative to waves/chop and hopefully thick enough that it won't immediately be blown over/bent in half by a strong wind.

I stash mine under my backplate in a couple of bungies.

scubaaaronh:
Thanks you for all the information. I am tring to decide what to buy. There are just to many choices out there. Thanks you again that answered a few questions

Seeing that you've PM'd a bunch of us, it would be appropriate for you to post a summary :) .

I only pmed you two.crows. The others offered information i didn't send pms, which i appreciate the info. Thanks for all the info everyone. As far as which one i am going to buy i still dont know yet as i am trying to weigh the options. I like the one you talked about two.crows and i also like the one on this thread from surface marker. i have also looked at other but still don't know.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom