Quality of rental gear on cruise lines?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Air_Miser

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm going on a cruise sometime in the next few months, and while diving won't be the main focus of the trip (drag!) I'm going to try to dive every day that I can.

My question- what is the rental gear like for dive excursions from the ship? Is it worth bringing my reg., mask, fins or is most of the rental stuff pretty acceptable for one-dive-a-day kind of stuff?

Thanks!

Air_Miser:
Hi,

I'm going on a cruise sometime in the next few months, and while diving won't be the main focus of the trip (drag!) I'm going to try to dive every day that I can.

My question- what is the rental gear like for dive excursions from the ship? Is it worth bringing my reg., mask, fins or is most of the rental stuff pretty acceptable for one-dive-a-day kind of stuff?

Thanks!

I always bring my gear. It sucks having to learn new gear in the water, and I KNOW that mine works. Indeed, on my last cruise I brought my entire kit. 3 mil shorty, booties, beenie, mask, snorkle and fins, bc, and regulators. I let the dive operator provide weights and tanks, and brought the rest. This stuff is 'life support equipment' and using what you know is always better (in my mind) than fumbling around with some elses kit.

Just my $.02, ok to ignore me...

If I dove off another cruise I would still bring my mask, snorkel, regs, computer. Comfort, reliability and familiarity! I would use the cruise line or island dive shop's BC and thermal protection. & I'd waver on who's fins to use.

On three of the stops we had to carry our gear quite a distance. & up and down lots of stair cases within the ship. (Meet one place, meander thru the ship to the exit.) Another reason for not bringing everything is the lack of space in a cabin to clean and dry the gear.

Paula

The cruise lines have contracts with local dive co.
You rent the gear from them. The cruiselines simply act as a go between with the Dive boats. They collect the money and sometimes send one of there divers along but not always.
The only time I have seen the cruise lines supply gear is if they take you to a their own private island and you do a walk in form the beach or something like that.As for rental gear. Well it's rental gear. Hit or miss at best. You will most likely only be doing very basic dives.
Fred

fgray1:
You will most likely only be doing very basic dives.

Very true. Norwegian cruise line set a depth limit shallower than certification agencies or the local dive operation. I just guessed it was because of liability reasons. & cruise-only divers.

Paula

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom