Quality knife with gloves in mind

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aaron Lambright

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello.

I have been shopping for a knife for nearly a year now, off and on. The problem I am having is I would like a smaller knife blade, not Crocodile Dundee knife. But, being a northern US, inland lake diver, I wear 7mm gloves which makes it difficult to "feel" the smaller knives. I have been to a couple different shops and tested the feel of several different knives wearing thick gloves. It seems the only way to get a smaller blade is to get a smaller knife which is very difficult to manipulate with gloves. The option, is purchasing a larger blade knife with an equally large handle that fits better into the gloved hand but also can be bulky to wear and awkward to use (I suspect)(thankfully I've never needed yet, to date).

Does anyone know of a knife with a large(r) handle and small(ish) blade? The Seac K-Jack knife looks like it might be close, but I do not have a convenient LDS that carries it to give it a test drive.

Thanks.

As much as I don't like the "Blue H Tax", IMHO, this is a great knife for cold water handling...

Halcyon Knife Titanium Mini-Knife and "H" Sheath

upload_2020-8-13_12-25-1.png

IMG_2365.JPG

I often use 5-7 mm gloves in colder water as well; and my choice would be the "Spyderco Atlantic Salt Lightweight Folding Knife."

I carry mine on a wrist lanyard and tuck it into the sleeve of one of my gloves, when not in use. I've used them for years, for light salvage; work on an oyster farm, and just as a standard wickedly-sharp knife -- which I have yet to resharpen, after some five years . . .

1) Purchase a big knife with a big handle and scabbard off e bay - cheep $
2) Purchase electric grinder from Harbor Freight - $29.95_$
3) Grind knife to desired length - shape blade.- sharpen knife
4) Cut scabbard to desired length
5-- Dive knife..for penny's and a grinder for garage work shop

SDM

Hi Aaron. I'd recommend taking a look at the "DIR" style knife. It's literally a stainless steel steak knife with half of the blade cut off. They're dirt cheap to the point of being disposable, so no worries about dropping a $30 to $80 special-made dive knife. Available from DGX for ten bucks, including a sheath.

I prefer to use a dremel to round off the edge a bit more to avoid tearing exposure gear, and painted the handle bright orange to make it easier to spot if I do drop it. I use one with 5mm wet gloves and medium-thickness drygloves, no issues. If you want a bigger one, maybe you could find a steak knife with a bigger handle, or hell, make one out of a bread knife :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom