Qld Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Azza

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
Hey Guys. My wife and I are looking to have our honeymoon later on this year and are tossing up whether to hit the Solomons or The GBR.
I'm rather partial to the Solomons (I looove wrecks) and my wife is rather partial for the GBR.

I have always avoided the GBR like the plague because I have heard some nasty stories about the Qld Dive industry. Apparently they set your depth and your time, and buddy dive professionals up with noobie divers and don't let you plan and dive your own dive regardless of your experience and qualifications.

A friend told me before he went to the GBR he emailed around and found a place that told him he could do his own thing but it was a very different story when he got there.

Does anybody have any info on the state of diving on the GBR and if these "dive nazi" stories are true?

Thanks for your help.

hi azza and congrats - as my hubby says about getting married "you cant be happy all of your life"

if it was my choice - the Solomons!!!! why, different culture, the diving and the diving

hubby & i already planning our next trip after our april Yap jounery and Uepi is on the top of the list so far

Well I think the Solomons are the go, mainly because it is a whole new culture (and wrecks:D) but I have to make the effort for Katie as she hasnt really been to Aus before and is quite keen to have a look around topside as well. (Also my family is originally fron Northwest NSW so I have lots of family up there to introduce her too)

If it is indeed the case that the GBR Dive Industry are like I have heard then I will definantly give it a miss but if anyone knows of a particular operation that does cater for experienced divers, or even technical divers, then I would appreciate hearing about them.

Azza,
i think in GBR, because of its market and legal guidlines you are going to find alot of rules.

ive not dived with this guy (hate boats-out of my league) but i hear only good things and i know on board they can blend their own mixes. http://www.esperancestar.com.au/

Chances are that Sydney Diver (above) has experience with them

cheers,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom