Qatar

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wantonmien

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Anyone in this forum diving in Qatar ?

I'm currently contemplating a move over there to be based in Doha - and trying to find a few expat contacts there that dive, and who can point me in the right direction for dive ops working in Qatar

Any info appreciated

Cheers

One of our guests last weekend lives in Qatar - he is not exactly impressed by the diving there (which is why he came over here for the weekend), but I'll ask him for recommendations and let you know.......

Have a nice day
Karin :)

Towards the Sealine Resort there is beach diving. Few trucks and cars to swim around.

There is also the inand sea.

There are a couple of wrecks, but a good way off shore. Not really worth the boat ride

People even fly down from Kuwait to dive on the east coast of UAE so that should give you an indication of what the diving in the Persian Gulf is like, in particular the northern areas around Qatar, Bahrain and Kuwait.

I travel all over the Middle East on business and to be honest I only bring my dive gear with me when I visit Jeddah in Saudi Arabia, Jordan and Oman.

Cheers Searcaigh,

Judging by feedback, seems if I head to Qatar long term, I might be on regular flights to UAE for R&R and to get diving !

Incase of use, I've also been on Qatar Living | Everything you need to know about living in Qatar and gleaned the following info for dive op's there -

Qatar Divers Marriott Hotel +974 431 3331
Doha Sub-Aqua Club +974 565 1775
Pearl Divers Al Merqab street +974 444 9553
World Marine Center Al Bustan Hotel +974 436 0989

Cheers

Qatar Divers & Scuba Lateif (another one you may come across) are run by the same guy.

Equipment hire is not the best in Doha, including typically students having to buy masks. snorkels and fins before starting courses.

Doha Sub-Aqua club has the cheapest beer :D

Anyone in this forum diving in Qatar ?

I'm currently contemplating a move over there to be based in Doha - and trying to find a few expat contacts there that dive, and who can point me in the right direction for dive ops working in Qatar

Any info appreciated

Cheers

Wantonmien,

I have been working U.S. Military Contracts in Iraq and now Kuwiat for seven years. Currently I am in Kuwait. I did my first Kuwait dives last Friday and to be honest, not much in the Poseidan's Wow department. But here in Kuwait we have a local chapter of the British Sub-Aquatic Club or BSAC for short. They own the boat in Kuwait that we dived off of so the usage charge is minimal. I have my own kit, but the club also has kit to rent. Every Tuesday we have a Social...they are quite nice. And the club offeres free Dive Training. My training here in Kuwait has been superior to any I have taken from PADI so far. The Kuwait Mantas BSAC has members from the UK, NZ, US, AU, GER, HOL, BEL, NOR, KUW, EGT...it is quite the mix. Through the Club we get discounts and take mini-excursions. Last Month they went to Jordan and this month we are headed to Sharm. I also know that there are at least two BSAC club in UAE, not quite sure on Qatar. But with the World Cub construction and all of the increase in Expats, one might form.:vintagediver:

I have traveled to UAE a few time and dived in both Dubai or Fujairah...I recommend diving with Karin at Divers Down, I found them to be the best in UAE that I have used..plus she makes a mean green tea. :java:

You mentioned R&Rs. The nice thing about Qatar/Dubai is you are just a few hours from of some of the best diving in the world...Red Sea, Bali, Maldives, Thailand, Indonsia, and Micronesia...plus quick jumps to Europe. Those you can consider too when deciding on whether qatar is the place for you or not. If you have access to US Mail...then there is nothing that you can not order via the internet stores, Houe of Scuba, LeisurePro, ect.

Good luck with your decission...

P.S. As far as contacts, I have meet Gordon (Searcaigh) and Karin (Aquamarin) and both are great individuals whom I would include as my friends. I have corresponded on SB with Simon a few times; he has always been a great provider of Middle Eastern Information. :wavey:

~Michael~

Doha Sub-Aqua Club +974 565 1775

I looked on the BSAC home website and Doha Sub-Aqua Club is listed as a BSAC club. They listed Susan Wasserman as a POC h2omann@aol.com

You might give them a jingle and see what's up?

Here is BSAC's home website:
Welcome to the home of UK Scuba Diving - to dive and train with friends - join us!

---------- Post added April 9th, 2012 at 04:19 AM ----------

Website for the Doha BSAC Club and their FB page

http://dsac941.com/default.html

See Simon...Great Minds think alike :D

Back
Top Bottom