Q.for sidemountdivers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

300bar

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
What makes this so good.:confused:
sidemount diving - Google Video

Now you nullyfy IMO the freedom of the backplate,a tank in each armpit.
I just might be wrong but I'm just trying to figure this out.

Anyone doing this.

Like any system there are pros and cons associated with sidemount. There's an active discussion comparing sidemount vs. backmount at cavediver.net.

I am by no means a sidemount expert, but have done about 25 dives. Significantly more freedom of movement diving sidemount with double AL80s vs. backmount AL80s.

I wrote about my first time in sidemount as well as the sidemount class I took.

Thanks for the links,great reading stuff.

Still wondering about those AL80's in the armpit though.

Looks like the same problem as a fully inflated BC

btw I do see the logic in this for cavediving,in low pasages,where a backmounted tank would restrict your pasage.

The AL80s, given the buoyancy characteristics and size, are not that noticable. Compared to stages, the sidemount tanks are less noticable.

While they are held tight to your side, they don't press/squeeze inward like a fully inflated BC.

For cave diving, they are quite nice. I'm not convince of sidemount in OW especially with steel tanks. The steel tanks, being quite negative, make it feel like I have ballasts on each side of me. While this is very stable in the water, I miss the rotational freedom that I had with the AL80s.

Plus sidemount and shore diving (surf entry) doesn't quite work for me. I'd rather have backmount for the convenience. Bringing in one tank at the time is nice, but kitting up is not so nice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom