Pyrosome at Columbia Shallow.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scrane

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Yesterday, 6/8 we sighted and got a good look at a Pyrosome at Columbia shallow at around 25', free floating 5' above the bottom. It was about 6' long, open at one end and tapered at the other, 10" in diameter, with a wall thickness of about 3/8" and pink in color. It would fold and flutter in current, but regain its cylindrical shape in calm water.

Last edited:
I think that is what the Humann book calls a Venus Girdle.

Dave

picture? never seen one....

No
I think that is what the Humann book calls a Venus Girdle.

Dave
No, this one was cylindrical, looked like a airport wind sock, seemed to actively reinflate after being disturbed. Jose from Dive With Martin gave it a good look and said he'd never seen one before.

pyrosome - Bing video

We saw one about like this.

Last edited:
They are very cool - I've seen them a dozen or so times since i've had my shop

No

No, this one was cylindrical, looked like a airport wind sock, seemed to actively reinflate after being disturbed. Jose from Dive With Martin gave it a good look and said he'd never seen one before.

pyrosome - Bing video

We saw one about like this.

Yes the Venus Girdle look exactly like that you described. In my 25 years there I've only seen one and challenged Paul Humann himself who described it perfectly to me.

I'm not sure how to quantify luck… but you and I are lucky.

Dave Dillehay

Yes the Venus Girdle look exactly like that you described. In my 25 years there I've only seen one and challenged Paul Humann himself who described it perfectly to me.

I'm not sure how to quantify luck… but you and I are lucky.

Dave Dillehay

I'm certain that I've seen these as shown in scrane's video at least a handful of times if not once or twice a year - in the 5-6' length range - not the giant ones. Clearly an interesting and rare find, but they are around. A very common one is this type below:

salp-LP.jpg

Christi, that looks more like a salp chain, which is a planktonic tunicate

From my reading, the Pyrosome is a planktonic truncate also, but not at all like the the object shown in Christy's picture. The video I posted was lifted from YouTube and is a good representation of the thing we sighted. It had no featuers outside of its shape, size, and color.
Again, acording to my limited reading, the Venus Girdle is a Comb Jelly that is ribbon like and not tubular, although regional and individual namings can vary.

Venus girdle - Wikipedia

Everything I've seen and read points me to a Pyrosome as what we saw! :)

@scrane - yes the type that you saw I’ve only seen a handful of times in all of my years diving here (20+\- total and 16+ having my operation) - and they’ve been anywhere from 2-6ft in length.

Very cool that you saw one!!

The other that I posted a picture of (borrowed from google) is a very common sighting - they are much “skinnier” and are usually 5-12” in length

I have never seen a Venus girdle so Intrust Dave’s claim of only seeing one in all of his years here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom