... put more women in charge ... to foster collaborative conversations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Subcooled

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I did read this on Scubaboard:
"We should seriously put more women in charge of ScubaBoard to foster collaborative conversations"

There is no mention of sex or gender, just the concept of a "woman", and some implicit assumptions.
I assume that the writer means sex + 'traditional' gender.

The tone of the message was harmless, but slightly uneducated in gender issues.
Can you please elaborate on this?

How much do gender roles affect our reactions and replies?

I've had a number of women bosses, and sure a lot of them were very collaborative and seeking people's opinions even if they don't speak up. OTOH I've had women that were just as one sided taking control of the meeting with an iron fist as any man. And I've male bosses that were just as collaborative and going around the table making sure every spoke up.

Finally I've seen the same mix of good and bad as moderators across the sexes. So for me it is a mixed bag, and I could care less about the person's sex.

I did read this on Scubaboard:
"We should seriously put more women in charge of ScubaBoard to foster collaborative conversations"

There is no mention of sex or gender, just the concept of a "woman", and some implicit assumptions.
I assume that the writer means sex + 'traditional' gender.

The tone of the message was harmless, but slightly uneducated in gender issues.
Can you please elaborate on this?

How much do gender roles affect our reactions and replies?
Where on ScubaBoard? It would help to see the post.

But still, there are these stereotypical ideas that women are 'this' and men are 'that'
I do not know from where these ideas come, initially

I've read this thread three times and I still don't get what people are talking about. But doing research I did stumble across this which I think may be relevant.

I've read this thread three times and I still don't get what people are talking about. But doing research I did stumble across this which I think may be relevant.
It does sound like that…

But still, there are these stereotypical ideas that women are 'this' and men are 'that'
I do not know from where these ideas come, initially
Stereotypical behaviors? Society? Nature/nurture. I used to care, now I don’t. I just want to dive—-conflict is minimalized under the sea.

Back
Top Bottom