... put more women in charge ... to foster collaborative conversations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How much do gender roles affect our reactions and replies?
If you did a research study looking at trends in large groups, I imagine you'd find some perhaps statistically significant differences in some trends. Men have higher circulating testosterone levels, which are associated with aggression, for example. Even if men and women had no inherent biological differences in trends toward different qualities (e.g.: physical aggression), we live in a gendered society. Obviously it has importance to peoples' sense of self; read of the arduous road some trans people go to 'transition.'

All that said, I think individual variation trumps it when you're talking about specific people. While I believe there are differences in trends amongst large groups, I think that falls apart when you start assuming if they make Jane Doe a moderator, she'll be more conciliatory and less confrontational that John Doe, who'll be an alpha male and more likely to get in ego wars with violators.

And the stereotypes don't always hold well dealing with groups. Years ago, I read defense attorneys with a female client may not want many women on the jury, as women allegedly tend to be more prone to be hypercritical of other women. I don't know the basis for that. I have observed that some women sometimes have higher standards for each other than they do men (e.g.: resentment over not getting a thank-you note for a gift).

I'm just thinking of some of the New Age type spirituality that speaks of "the sacred masculine" and "the sacred feminine." Well, how would you describe what those are, without resorting to gender stereotypes?

If I understood correctly, OP wants us to change the way how most of us think about genders to accomodate.......I don't know what clasification to use?

Do you think you can hold off on your pressing issues until we first at least get some solid same race understanding and cooperation happening throughout the world. Shouldn't take more than a few more centuries but going on history perhaps a few more centuries than that.

Subcooled said:
There is no mention of sex or gender, just the concept of a "woman", and some implicit assumptions.
I assume that the writer means sex + 'traditional' gender.

I did read this on Scubaboard:
"We should seriously put more women in charge of ScubaBoard to foster collaborative conversations"

There is no mention of sex or gender, just the concept of a "woman", and some implicit assumptions.
I assume that the writer means sex + 'traditional' gender.

The tone of the message was harmless, but slightly uneducated in gender issues.
Can you please elaborate on this?

How much do gender roles affect our reactions and replies?

I'm pretty sure that this section of the board, Site Support, is meant for technical support....

".. put more women in charge ... to foster collaborative conversations"

Isn't the title sexist? Or is it OK to throw around stereotypes?

Come on Wibble get with it, subuncool hasn't mentioned sex or gender, just the concept of a "woman"
that any free thinking person would implicitly assume to mean sex + 'traditional' gender.

Any wonder it's putrifyingly slow to achieve anything, lets hope the op is not in charge of anything

Obviously as a man I know I’m wrong. Damn, another stereotype!

Come on Wibble get with it, subuncool hasn't mentioned sex or gender, just the concept of a "woman"
that any free thinking person would implicitly assume to mean sex + 'traditional' gender.

Any wonder it's putrifyingly slow to achieve anything, lets hope the op is not in charge of anything
Isn't sex and gender the same thing?

Honestly asking, this confuses me.

Back
Top Bottom