... put more women in charge ... to foster collaborative conversations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I’m gender educated. Just watched the Dave Chappell special “The Closer” on Netflix. Very highly recommend, before we go chasing down rabbit holes when we should be having a simple discussion.

Oh, and for the record, just about every female boss I’ve ever had was miserable to work for.

You're not the 1st female I've heard express that same sentiment, my wife among them. When she working at a bank with mostly women but a male boss she'd be cursing about the women quite often, wishing she could work with men instead.

What I’d like to know is…

A few years back this century I taught technical IT courses. For the introductory level ones such as web development the class had a fairly wide audience spread, with one third-ish females (sometimes more, sometimes less, but around a third overall). As the classes got more technical and in depth there were far fewer females, frequently none at all but never as many as a third.

Same in my technical IT career; the more technical the fewer females there are. Certain IT "trades" are almost dominated by females such as business analysis and project management. There are some females in technical roles, but a real minority compared with their male counterparts. IT technical conventions were another example where the vast majority of attendees were male.

It’s a bit similar with technical diving. A few females but predominantly males. Very different to recreational diving where there’s a more even split.

I’ve always wondered why that might be?
Perhaps it has more to do with interest than simply ability or aptitude? To make a broad (and valid) generalization; men are more interested in things, women more interested in people. Of course that has nothing to do with the specific individual, but it can be used as a guide to help understand some of the more glaring gender related discrepancies in representation and participation in various careers and activities.

with respect to technical diving the weight of the gear and the differences in strength and size between the genders, probably also affects the relative participation rate.

Elaine's take on the differences between men and women's antisocial behavior towards one another is priceless:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom