Purge mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I like mine.

The only problem is it is difficult (read: impossible for me) to squeeze your nose for clearing with only one hand. This isn't a big deal for me because my ears either clear very easily with just swallowing or they won't clear at all. Also for tech diving, the purge valve is a point of failure.

AaronBBrown once bubbled...
I like mine.

The only problem is it is difficult (read: impossible for me) to squeeze your nose for clearing with only one hand. This

I agree that it's hard with one hand..especially with 7mm gloves on. With the gloves, its very hard to slide you fingers into the recesses.

However, that said, I love the mask. If you have facial hair (e.g., a moustache), the constant small leakage is so much easier to clear with a purge-style mask.

Rich :jester:

3 reasons you would not want one as I see it:

1) You dont NEED it, and you should'nt be taking stuff that you dont NEED.

2) The valve leaks/cracks etc... then you mask keeps flooding. One more thing to fail.

3) Creates bad habits and loss of a critical skill (mask clearing). Divers w/o purge valve have to clear their mask the old fashion way or even remove/replace (hence they become practiced at the skill and comfortable w/o the mask). If you ever get your mask kicked off or flooded by another diver (it happens all the time), you WANT to have this skill be second nature.

guerosd once bubbled...
3) Creates bad habits and loss of a critical skill (mask clearing). Divers w/o purge valve have to clear their mask the old fashion way or even remove/replace (hence they become practiced at the skill and comfortable w/o the mask). If you ever get your mask kicked off or flooded by another diver (it happens all the time), you WANT to have this skill be second nature.

Your first two points were valid, but this doesn't make any sense. Clearing with a purge valve mask is the same skill as with a regular mask...it's just easier and quicker with the valve. There is no loss of skill involved. You still need to look up and push on the top of your mask.

And if you are getting your mask kicked off that frequently, you need to be more aware of your surroundings. Yeah, it happens, but watch for the other guy's fins and put your arm in the way...It has prevented my mask from getting knocked off many times.

Thats what I figured, you still have to clear your mask as if it was any other by taking it off your face and such, I only plan on using one for recreational diving, with a backup mask.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom