Purchasing spare batteries for my torch

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi folks!

I have a BigBlue CF1200P torch which I bought two years ago and it has been really great for all of my low visibility diving here in Ireland.

My only issue is that I get two full dives out of the battery before I need to recharge. I would like to buy one or more spare batteries so I don't need to charge all the time.

How important is it to buy spare batteries from the manufacturer? Is there any reason not to buy another 18650 battery from a reputable manufacturer with the same specs (3400mah, 3.7v)? For reference, here is the replacement battery sold by BigBlue.

There is no reason to specifically purchase a battery from the manufacturer of your torch unless the battery was of a proprietary design and they were the only source.

The only concern when purchasing an 18650 battery spare/replacement is buying a quality one. Stick with reputable brands and sources and you should be relatively fine.

Actually the price of the battery you linked to is not bad for the mah it is rated. You can find them for less if you want to shop around.

You may want to consider picking up a spare charger as well.

-Z

Thanks @Zef!

I'm wary of dodgy Amazon resellers but I will search carefully and find some good quality batteries.

Thanks @Zef!

I'm wary of dodgy Amazon resellers but I will search carefully and find some good quality batteries.

Check my post as I edited it just after hitting reply as I rechecked the battery I linked to and it was not the same mah rating. When I searched for the mah rating you put in your original post the average cost I found was much closer to the battery you linked to. Hence the edit.

Good luck.

-Z

I have the same light and am using a different 18650 in it. They are not expensive so if you are only buying one try and buy the one with the best reviews.

Make sure you get a physically matching battery- Button top or flat top. Some lights won’t work one or the other. Check your original.

Make sure you get a physically matching battery- Button top or flat top. Some lights won’t work one or the other. Check your original.
yes, the one i have has a button top, not flat.not sure if it works with a BigBlue lamp.

Back
Top Bottom