Pulling still photos from GoPro footage - Hero3+ results

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

large_diver

Contributor
Reaction score
Recently on the GoPro Underwater Facebook group someone started a thread asking for examples of decent quality still photos extracted from GoPro underwater footage. I had only done this once before, but decided to do more of this to see what the results look like. All of these are extracted from video footage. I never take still photos with the GP.....I am shaky enough on video...I can't imagine getting quality still photos underwater with a camera that small.

I generally shoot 1080/60fps, medium. I use the Backscatter flip system with both warm and cold water filters and the Macromate mini lens. Some of these were shot with 1 light; some with my more recently purchased 2 light system.

Mechanics = I edit still photos using Apple's Aperture program. I import the GP video clips into Aperture - the program lets you advance frame-by-frame and then capture the pic into a jpg.

Anyway - take a look:

GOPR2474-L.jpg

GOPR2140-L.jpg

GOPR2009-L.jpg

GOPR2265-L.jpg

GOPR2473-L.jpg

GOPR1542%20%281%29-L.jpg

GOPR2551%20%281%29-L.jpg

GOPR0969-L.jpg

GOPR0946-L.jpg

GOPR2479-L.jpg

Abby%20baby%209-L.jpg

They look sharp scaled down, specially those with dive lights, but still very pixelated/grainy when looking at the full resolution frame grab.. When the framing is right, I prefer switching to the burst photo mode and giving it a go. Out of 10 photos, 1-2 come out ok.

They look sharp scaled down, specially those with dive lights, but still very pixelated/grainy when looking at the full resolution frame grab.. When the framing is right, I prefer switching to the burst photo mode and giving it a go. Out of 10 photos, 1-2 come out ok.

Yes - good feedback. Some of these are better than others, since I did do some cropping.

Can you share any of your burst photo mode results? I have done almost no still photo shooting with my GoPro

Chris

Scaled down a bit, but taken on burst mode (photo). No lights and no post editing, just red filter:
cxJnvja.jpg
TAouLWG.jpg
jw8WRWL.jpg
ws4XEw8.jpg
q3jIaOq.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom