Pulled 2 "OLD" Luxfers from my storage...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ulfhedinn

-Skill Collector-
Reaction score
I pulled 2 old luxfers out of storage as they were made in 01/86 as I wasn’t sure they would pass hydro or eddy so there they have set.

Took them to my hydro place and low and behold clean bill of health. Passed with flying colors.
Valves have not been removed since the mid-98. When they were last vip’d

I noticed an oiliness around the threads when I got home. I dropped them off with the Dacor valves still in place at hydro.

Question is…

When I took them in to be Vip’d I mentioned to the shop they were old and about the oiliness. They said no problem and took a look and told me no issues look good we will fill them.

My though when I got home is “shouldn’t they have maybe cleaned the inside” not so much 02 clean but at least a simple green rinse or what not? Not sure if the oiliness was from the hydro or the old valve “lube”

They didn’t smell bad but still…

Did the inside of the tank have the same oil? Or was it just on the threads?

could be residual oil that got pushed up to the neck during hydro. did you check the hydro facility stamped for visual eddy? also, you will have to check the shop you use is ok with filling 6351 tanks

LDS said it looked good... I noticed the oil when I grabbed the cylinder by the hole after I removed the valve. I couldn't see any oil just felt it. I didn't have the needed light to look into it but the shop obviously did.

The shop is cool with filling the tanks as long as they passed hydro. What would a visual eddy stamp look like? I was under the impression that a hydro shop would know the issues with older luxfers and do what was necessary to make sure its was gtg. Is that not the case?

LDS said it looked good... I noticed the oil when I grabbed the cylinder by the hole after I removed the valve. I couldn't see any oil just felt it. I didn't have the needed light to look into it but the shop obviously did.

The shop is cool with filling the tanks as long as they passed hydro. What would a visual eddy stamp look like? I was under the impression that a hydro shop would know the issues with older luxfers and do what was necessary to make sure its was gtg. Is that not the case?
The hydro stamp has VE after the date.

Hydro stamping question "VE"

The hydro stamp has VE after the date.

Hydro stamping question "VE"

Thanks Wookie
Interesting enough all my LP72 have it.

I will need to take a look at the those 80s but there are not at my house at the moment. hmm..

Interesting enough all my LP72 have it.
By procedure, you do not place a VE stamp on a steel. VE is not an approved test on 3AA cylinders.

I think. I am not a hydro expert.

By procedure, you do not place a VE stamp on a steel. VE is not an approved test on 3AA cylinders.

I think. I am not a hydro expert.

Yep first time I saw that also. I just had all my 72s done last month at a new shop. I use to just have the LDS do it but since I'm fully capable of dropping them off and saving $20+ a tank.

My other steels no but on my 72s the mark exists.

I suspect you felt old silicon grease in the threads, that stuff is hard to clean out/off. Most shops use an O2 safe lube on everything nowadays to avoid having two sets of tools and such (like interior vip lights). The silicon of yesteryear can really built up over time, usually you just wipe out the excess with a paper towel on your finger - it tends to be dark grey after years of contact with aluminum.

If there is no oily film inside the tank and not globs of grease in the threads I wouldn't worry about it.

Your hydro shop is not a good one if they are VE stamping steel 72s.

Your hydro shop is not a good one if they are VE stamping steel 72s.
And not VE stamping old Luxfers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom