Pulau Weh trip report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Angel61

Registered
Reaction score
This was our second trip to Pulau Weh after having been in March of this year. This was definitely the better season to dive because we saw a lot more big fish then in March. The one draw back is that with the onset of the monsoon the visibility was not as great as in March but that what brings out the big boys.
This visit we managed to see Manta Ray, Eagle Rays, Marble Rays, Mobulas, white and black tip reef sharks, dog tooth tuna etc.

Flight: 16th September Paris to KL with Qatar Airways (managed to get a round trip for 430 Euros). 17th September arrival at KL with 4 hours stop over before connecting flight with Air Asia to Banda Aceh (round trip 80 Euro).

We were lucky as we were able to catch the 4pm ferry from Banda Aceh to Pulau Weh. This was touch and go as our flight has 1 hour delay.

Accommodation: Fina Bungalow. Room had air con but no hot shower which didn't really bother us. We had a room on the top floor with great view towards the sea and Rubiah Island. Cost for our air con room was 22 Euro per night.

Weh Island: Rubiah Island View Fina Bungalow *Room Rate*

Breakfast was not included so we went to Dee Dee's to have breakfast.

Diving: Iboih Dive Centre. Great dive centre with very reasonable prices - 16 Euro per dive (with 10 or more dives) with rented equipment and 14 Euro per dive with own equipment. The dive centre equipment is excellent condition and very well looked after. We had used their equipment in March because we needed ours to dry before leaving PW.
All their guides are Dive Master trained and have an excellent knowledge of the dive spots. We again dove with Mur as our guide and although currents can be a bit tricky, he is like a fish underwater in navigating the currents. I can not recommend them highly enough.
My partner and I have both done our Nitrox qualification with them on this occasion.

In total we spend 10 days diving on Pulau Weh and the total cost for the trip was no more than 1000 Euro.

The one thing I would advice is checking for Muslim holidays in September. It so happened while we were there that they had a 2 day holiday which meant no diving. Also most shops and restaurants are closed during that time.

Pulau Weh Diving - Iboih Dive Centre

Below is a link to a video that we took while there a few weeks ago.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/patricweill/21319506973/in/dateposted/

Thanks for the report. I booked my ticket just today; also from KL to bandeh. Good to hear you could make the 1600 ferry with an hour delay. Was my only 'worry'

How is life on the island apart from diving? I assume life is wake up - dive 3x - eat a lot - 3 drinks and sleep early?

I understood there are 2 main beaches; is there a huge difference? (Forgot the names; on my phone)

Thanks for the report. I booked my ticket just today; also from KL to bandeh. Good to hear you could make the 1600 ferry with an hour delay. Was my only 'worry'

How is life on the island apart from diving? I assume life is wake up - dive 3x - eat a lot - 3 drinks and sleep early?

I understood there are 2 main beaches; is there a huge difference? (Forgot the names; on my phone)

Life on the island is very quiet. Not much going really apart from diving. :) so you are right, it is dive, eat, sleep, repeat. :wink:

The main beaches are Gapang Beach and Iboih Beach. They are both much the same and not that far from each other. We always stay on Iboih Beach. As for drinks, there is one place on Iboih Beach that sells cold Beer. (illegally as it is a Muslim country).

Life on the island is very quiet. Not much going really apart from diving. :) so you are right, it is dive, eat, sleep, repeat. :wink:

The main beaches are Gapang Beach and Iboih Beach. They are both much the same and not that far from each other. We always stay on Iboih Beach. As for drinks, there is one place on Iboih Beach that sells cold Beer. (illegally as it is a Muslim country).

One more question; did you take precautions against malaria? where there a lot of musquitos? How did other travellers and instructors and DMs deal with that?

One more question; did you take precautions against malaria? where there a lot of musquitos? How did other travellers and instructors and DMs deal with that?

Yes there was a fair amount of mosquitoes in September , much less in March, we took a preventive treatment. On that subject you must totally avoid Lariam and its derivatives as the side effects closely mimic DC sickness symptoms and can create problems for divers. The locals dont take any anti malaria medecine

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom