Pulau weh info needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

miel

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
hi, i'm planning a dive trip for juli 2010 for me and the wife.

it's going to be a combo between pulau weh and lembeh.

the lembeh accommodation is propably going to be :
Divers Lodge Lembeh Scuba Diving Resort - Customized diving Lembeh Strait Sulawesi Indonesia

i love the 'your own boat and guide' package, brilliant! (or does anyone knows a better option??)

for pulau weh i found two companies so far:

Rubiah Tirta Divers - Exotic Diving, Snorkeling, Dive Spot, Diving Spot, Diving Course, Weh Island, Indonesia
Enjoy your diving with Lumba Lumba Diving Centre, Dive Resort on Pulau Weh (Weh Island), Aceh, Sumatra, Indonesia

any tips / hints?

we are two experienced divers, >400 dives travelling with own gear.

help is appreciated, greetz Miel

Miel,
We visited P We last July and stayed with Lumba-Lumba. They have nicest and very spacious room at very reasonable cost; but no aircond. There's cheaper accommodations owned by local.
They don't have restaurant - so, there's a next door restaurant and other 5 restaurant within walking distance. During high season, waiting time can be excessive, more than 1 hour just for simple meal - pre order your lunch and diner will help.
On July, the seas is a bit choppy but all our days were productive. Current can be unpredictable.
Big fishes at the Canyon, and batu Tokong is amazing site for moray lover, dozens moray ell from your fingers to as big as you. Strong current but still manageable on our first dive there; so we ask to repeat = and on the next dive, the site turned to a washing machine.
Easy diving at house reef, shallow, no current, lot of crittres - great for 2 hours night diving.

thanks for your info wisnu, much appreciated!

someone else more info bout pulau weh / lembeh??

greetz, Miel

Sure - I second Lumba Lumba. Visited last summer The island is quite remote but this seemed the most comfortable place & had wifi & hot showers & private comfortable bungalows with balconies. Restaurants are local and extremely basic. There are few amenities in the area.

I was a solo female. Must cover up passing through banda ache, and be slightly discrete even at the resort. I traveled from Bali and had to overnight in Kuala Lumpur.

In Pulau Weh currents are unpredictable, some dives are like washing machines, DM's like to dive deep (40-55m) & do deco dives on single AL80's. The recompression chamber is 14+ hours away. Beautiful deep blue water, amazing sea fans and underwater geology though. Depends on your skill & comfort level.

I'll second Wisnu in saying shallow house reef dives are a great option if currents, deep diving, limited surface cover and rough water are not to your liking. The house reef offers still water, lots of critters & the night dives are fantastic!

Lembeh is THE spot to be if you love critter hunting! Lots of dives are black sand bottom, vis is about 10 meters and it is filled with the most exotic species you will ever see.

You may consider combining Lembeh with Bunakan (or even the north shore of Bali) instead of Pulau Weh as traveling from one to the other only takes 1/2 a day.

Living Colors at Bunakan is nice. Bunakan doesn't have the dramatic underwater geology of Pulau Weh but it does have steep walls, beautiful coral, sometimes sharks, etc (Last year I had 40m? vis - but the year before it was only about 25m ;-).

Feel free to PM me if I can answer any specific questions.

Have fun!!

Hi,

Does anyone know if Lumba Lumba have gone out of business? Their email address just bounces mail...

Hi Miel,

Have you tried this email: info@lumbalumba.com
Ton replied my email with the above address in a few weeks ago.

Hope you enjoy your dives in Weh

Bests,

Ivan Kuswandi K. Silaban

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom