Puget Sound - easy entry sites?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

crizzle

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello all!

My dad and I are getting back into diving after a number of years on hiatus. He's had some trouble with his hip and is leery of dive sites with difficult or long entries, since he's not sure how his leg will behave on the dive. He's already ok'd a test run with his doctor, so I'm looking for an easy dive with a gentle and short entry to use as a benchmark as we ease back into the sport. Does anyone have some recommendations? We're considering the Edmonds Underwater Park, but I've heard the surface swim can be somewhat tiring.

Thanks for your help! :)

You want to go to Sund Rock on the Hood Canal. It just doesn't get easier than that to dive saltwater.

I have only dived in the area for a week this past March. Sund rock is indeed very easy. Almost a boat ramp into the water. Go through the "fish bowl" on the way to a wreck. Lots of huge ling code on the wreck.

I also dived the Keystone Jetty on Whidbey Island. Easy entry as well. Lots of fish and giant pacific octopuses.

Last edited:
EUP is an easy walk from the lot to the water. The surface swim can be minimized by waiting for high tide. Other easy shore entries include Seacrest Coves 1 & 2, and Redondo Beach.

I'm not sure I would include Keystone Jetty in the easy category. The short trail from the parking area down to the beach is quite steep, and is challenging coming back up in wet gear.

EUP has a bit of a step down from the parking lot to the sand but then slopes gently to the water. The surface swim is about 150 yards or so but if you relax into your kick and take your time it is worth the swim IMO.

Cove 1,2 & 3 - I cannot comment on Cove 1 as I have never dove that site. Cove 2 has loose gravel on the way to water but it depends on if the tide is in or out as to how far you have to walk to get in. Cove 3 is a bit of a step down to the beach then a pretty fair slope to get to the water which also depends on the tide for distance to the water's edge.

Sund Rock is a gradual slope but has loose rock on the route to the north entry and a dirt path that can be a bit tricky with heavy gear. I dove Sund Rock three months ago and I had to take care walking across the rock to the north entry. When I dive I am hauling a 120 cf tank on a BP&W so my gear is heavy.

All in all, these are some great sites IMO opinion but I would advise caution at any of them for someone who has had hip issues.

IIRC, I think Point Whitney up in the Hoosdport area has a nice gradual slope to the entry point and it is on the way to Sund Rock.

Mike's Beach has an actual boat ramp with a decent entry and has it's own lodging right there. The only time I went to Mike's we got blown out due to three storms coming in one after the other so no diving that weekend.

Try Alki Cove 2 on a high tide. Down the steps and a couple steps to the water when it's high. It probably doesn't get much easier.

Cove 2 and 3 (like a previous poster, I've never dove Cove 1) are not affected much by currents like EUP can be. I'd suggest going just before high tide. Viz can be so dramatically better. Given the clear days we've had lately, I'd imagine you'd have good viz this weekend. I'm in an EFR instructor course this weekend, otherwise I'd suggest joining up with you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom