Puerto Vallarta/Mexico Spear Fishing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Prodaytrader

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone happen to know anything about customs and spearguns? I am planning a trip to puerto vallarta and want to take my speargun. I see on the internet that there is speargun fishing but I'm starting to wonder about customs both in the US and Mexico. I guess the only other issue would be a license to fish as well. Has anyone spear fished in puerto vallarta and could you tell me what issues I will need to consider?

hello there,
I do not know about the customs Mexico or US, but I do know of some people who have brought spearguns down. I think the airlines would know more info about bringing spearguns. The only fishing license I know about is the fishing with poles. I do know that most divers do not want to go diving with other divers spearfishing, so you would have to arrange that with who you go diving with. And I do know that you can spearfish, as long as you are not in any of the national parks.

Not sure about customs issues. A friend of mine is on a spearfishing trip in La Paz right now (getting back on Friday) and I can ask him about that. You will need a Mexican fishing license. I bought mine here in San Diego at the marina but I'm sure there are other places to get them. I beleive that there is a Mexican Fish and Game website. My buddy is going out on a Ponga with a few other spearfishermen so they won't have to worry about other divers thinking they are going to get shot.

Oops sorry about that. I didnt mean to shoot your reg with my speargun. I guess I could see why they wouldnt want you fishing with them. As I recall now that I think about it, dead fish tend to attrack creatures of the deap too. In Hawaii many of the fisherman would float long boueys behind them with their catch in case anything decided to creep up and investigate their catch.

I'm sure I could get a license down there so I will make sure and check into that. Thansk for the info.

Check with the local fish and game there are new laws for spear fishing a lot of ares have been turned into national parks.You will need a one day fishing licence and its all free Diving in Mexico.

Were you able to spearfish in PV? what about fishing license? Let me know where I can go, or how I can set up a spearfishing trip. Any names, numbers, etc. I hope you had a good time in PV.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom