Puerto Rico recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the added info. Each dive destination has its pro.s and con.s. I like to find out what they are for each one. If Puerto Rico's value draws partly on the topside attractions, someone who 'just went to dive' might miss out. I've been, oh, I think 3 times; once 3 days at the Hyatt Dorado right after a honeymoon cruise (pretty grounds), and twice single days on cruise ship stops. We toured a fort, and my wife rode a Segway on Puerto Rico.

Richard.

We usually plan our two vacations a year around diving. Old San Juan, as we admitted to each other during this trip, would be one of the few places we would book, and not take our dive gear.

On the other hand, I would also not have any problem with simply booking a trip to dive the La Parguera wall, we think the diving there is extraordinary. We booked into Playa Santa to be closer to the diving, although the community, itself, lacks a lot when it comes to things to do post-dive (like eat out). The first time we dove down there, we went via the town of La Parguera, which does offer more (not a lot more) in terms of dining options, but is still limited.

However, since to get to either Playa Santa or La Parguera, there is a high probability that you would fly into San Juan Airport, we would be hard pressed not to plan at least a day or three in Old San Juan, or vice versa.

For anyone who hasn't been been to La Parguera recently, there are some good restaurants there that have opened up over the past few years. Moon's Tapas continues to be great. Restaurante El Turromote at the marina is fantastic. Puerto Parguera offers traditional Puerto Rican food (e.g. mofongo). Isla Cueva is great and owned by the same folks who own Moon's Tapas. Cayo Fresco was opened in what looks like a garage (yes, you read that right) and serves awesome food. Then there's burger joints (e.g. Reef Pop), a pincho stand (in the plaza), a pizza joint (in the plaza) and so forth. Yolanda's is a small sports type of bar. A coffee kiosk opened in the plaza area I believe Thursday through Sunday evening. You can grab breakfast at the M&M Cafe for dirt cheap before you go diving. Some reviews are posted on Tripadivsor under La Parguera, Puerto Rico while others are under Lajas, Puerto Rico. It's enough to keep me going for four or five days.

Regardless of where you stay and eat, the wall is great for diving. My friends and I have been diving it now for ten or so years.

In terms of Vieques, I have no direct experience. A lot of development has happened there. You have to choose between going over on the ferry or flying. Some of the shops in Fajardo might go there on the weekends.

Thanks everyone for the input. Sounds like Puerto Rico is not what we are looking for in our next trip.

Thanks everyone for the input. Sounds like Puerto Rico is not what we are looking for in our next trip.

Would you let us know where you decide? I'd just be curious to compare.

Thanks, and have a great trip!

Been too busy at work lately...I concur w coments on Island Scuba, Pedro Padilla and Nayda do their best to tailor to the dive tourist ...most shops in the island concentrate on the local clientele...hit me up if you need more information, specifics, as I was born and raised there...

Rincon PR has some of the best diving. Taino Divers for the diving and Tropic Cabanas for the lodging. Tropic cabanas

Back
Top Bottom