Trip Report Puerto Morelos - Tulaka

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Antor

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Just wanted to give a quick recommendation for Tulaka diving in Puerto Morelos. I'm a bit picky about dive shops and I do a ton of research before deciding on who to dive with. I didn't find much information about operators around Puerto Morelos, but saw some suggestions for Tulaka, mostly from a few years ago. Glad I decided on them. Emilio runs a great operation. He was easy to communicate with beforehand to set up the arrangements. His pricing included all equipment. I only had time for one day of diving this trip so I didn't feel like bringing all my equipment, so his all inclusive pricing was a plus. I had to arrange transportation to the shop in the morning, but he dropped me off at the hotel afterwards, which was much appreciated. I was hoping to dive a wreck, but I hooked up with some other divers at my hotel who joined me with Tulaka and they preferred shallower dives. This was not Tulaka's fault obviously, but it was a bit disappointing to not be able to do the dive I hoped for. On the other hand, it shows that Emilio was truly concerned about all the divers' skill levels, comfort, and safety. Emilio offered to take me another day to the site of my choosing, but I couldn't fit it in to my schedule.

Tulaka is a small operation, which is my preference to a large cattle boat operation. The trade off is that it is really a one man operation, which means it took some extra time to get loaded in the morning. We met at the shop where he loaded his truck with the gear, then he had to transfer everything to the boat at the pier, then onto the boat. I didn't check the exact time, but we met at the shop at around 8:30 and we probably weren't on the boat until about 9:30 or 9:45. I would have preferred getting in the water a little earlier, so I could be back with my partner at the hotel earlier in the day, but this wouldn't keep me from using Tulaka again.

In sum, Emilio runs a small and safe operation. I felt totally comfortable diving with him and appreciated that he tried to get me the best experience I could have, even though it was not the particular dive I was looking for. If you need a dive operator in the puerto morelos area, you should definitely check out Tulaka and speak with Emilio.

Reactions: BRT
Perfect timing for your post. After a lot of messaging with different ops, I decided to go with Tulaka as well.
I’ll only have 2 days but am planning on the wreck/reef one day and Cenotes the next.
Luckily I’ll be walking distance to their shop.

Back
Top Bottom