Puerto Morelos dive report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mitchsea

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just back from a weeklong visit to Puerto Morelos where we did 3 days of 2 tank diving. Went with Wet Set, Paul was very accommodating to when and where we wanted to dive. Ernesto was a great divemaster, great dive plan that maximized our bottom time.
While the diving is not as breathtaking as Cozumel it is excellent. The barrier reef is very healthy and the deeper offshore reefs are full of life. Dove the C 58 wreck on a day with poor visibility but still enjoyed the dive. Hoping to see some sharks at Tortuga turn but the 108 foot dive had none on this particular day.
Unfortunately we did see a juvenile Lionfish on a 60 foot reef. Reported it to REEF through their website.
Topside, the town is great......VERY laid back. If you want the exhausting street activity of Playa, do not come to Puerto Morelos. But if you want to relax with some really super friendly ex-pats and natives at some great restaurants and coffee shops, enjoy miles of unspoiled beach then this little fishing village is for you. Come see it before it becomes another Playa or Cancun.
Some pics are attached.....sorry about the erroneous date on some, I didn't realize it until after the first day of diving was over. The Lionfish picture was taken by my dive buddy whose picture came out better than mine.

Attachments

• PICT0358.jpg
    PICT0358.jpg
    443.1 KB · Views: 86
  • PICT0374.jpg
    PICT0374.jpg
    425.1 KB · Views: 273
  • PICT0607.jpg
    PICT0607.jpg
    425.4 KB · Views: 72
  • PICT0382.jpg
    PICT0382.jpg
    431.2 KB · Views: 72
  • PICT0369.jpg
    PICT0369.jpg
    404.1 KB · Views: 78
  • PICT0389.jpg
    PICT0389.jpg
    437.5 KB · Views: 69
  • PICT0611.jpg
    PICT0611.jpg
    443.7 KB · Views: 66
  • PICT0629.jpg
    PICT0629.jpg
    434.5 KB · Views: 68
  • PICT0423.jpg
    PICT0423.jpg
    432.4 KB · Views: 62
  • PICT0228.jpg
    PICT0228.jpg
    410.2 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
Just adding a few things topside.....Mama's Bakery (on R. Gomez Ave.) is a great place for a healthy breakfast or lunch, Terraza (sp?) is a also a great healthy restaurant that has lunch and dinner (located on the square).

If you've never been to Mexico or at least not been to a small town in Mexico, don't be turned off by the appearance of places. The buildings are old and can look somewhat dumpy (which, to me, is what makes this little town quaint), but every meal we ate was delicious and none of our group members got sick from anything there. PM definitely isn't a resort town. The people are incredibly friendly and helpful. I loved it there.

Just adding a few things topside.....Mama's Bakery (on R. Gomez Ave.) is a great place for a healthy breakfast or lunch, Terraza (sp?) is a also a great healthy restaurant that has lunch and dinner (located on the square).

Do either of these places cater to vegetarians? I know that is usually a stretch in Mexico, but thought I'd ask.

Thanks!

Mama's bakery has some soy options, (the egg & soy chorizo burrito is great!) and Terraza had some, but I would not say any restaurants there "cater" to vegetarians. One of my traveling partners is a vegetarian and aside from veggie fajitas or veggie burritos there were no other options for her at the traditional mexican restaurants. I think she found Hola Asia, Spaghatino, Terrazo, & Mama's Bakery provided the most options for vegetarians.

I will be going down to Puerto Morelos after Thanksgiving and though it might not be as dramatic as Cozumel it is sounding like fun. This is the first time I have heard about a loin fish in the area. Not a good thing.

It was startling to actually see one even though I'm from Florida and know that I could see one on any dive. Enjoy your stay there, it is a great little town.

Back
Top Bottom