Puerto Galera or Anilao

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pinoygolferaz78

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
It will be my first time diving in the Philippines. I can't decide where to dive - Puerto Galera or Anilao? I also want to factor in topside activities such as restaurants, bars, etc.

Thank you for your suggestions!

Haven't been to Anilao, but am returning from my second stay in PG. Love it there. Good night scene too.

Umm why not both. They are connected by a 1.5 hr, $100 boat ride (but much cheaper, though less convenient options are available).

Anilao - zero restaurants, zero bars, zero night life. Fantastic diving (weekends can be crowded with divers from Manila).

Easy. Anilao has none of this. PG has all.

Anilao diving is better, but will cost you more.

For a novice diver, I would suggest PG.

Haven't been to Anilao, but am returning from my second stay in PG. Love it there. Good night scene too.

Hi! Which Dive Center did you go with in PG? Any recommendation on topside activities?

---------- Post Merged at 11:00 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 10:59 AM ----------

Easy. Anilao has none of this. PG has all.

Anilao diving is better, but will cost you more.

For a novice diver, I would suggest PG.

Looks like PG it is! Do you have any recommendation on the lodging and dive center?

Atlantis is very good, and will put you in the midst of things. More up-scale.

El Galleon also very good, short stroll down the beach to the point, where it becomes small La Laguna Beach. Well organised operation.

If you are looking to economise, yet get personal attention, go with Mark, who runs Sea Rider, and ask to find you a room that fits your budget. It's a bit past El Galleon, and maybe a quarter mile from the town. This is a great, small, low-key operation, and actually my favorite to dive with. Very flexible, liberal dive times.

Mermaid hotel and dive operation is also good. Also like Portofino Beach Resort on Small LaLaguna. On the beach, and can dive with a number of outfits, like Sea Rider There are many others, but I have no first hand experience. Big Apple and Capt'n Gregg's are favourites.

Check Agoda.com for best hotel prices.
_________
Food

My favourite is Full Moon Restaurant. Stayed here for a month, ate more times at Full Moon than every other place combined. Nice, varied menu. Manny, the chef, is world traveled, and can fix most anything, Interesting person to chat with. All the staff very nice, friendly, and have been here for a long time. Place becomes like a home away from home, and quite popular. On Small LaLaguna Beach

From the internet
"The basic food in the Philippines is rice, but in Puerto Galera the choice is nearly without limit. Of course, a great variety of Filipino dishes is readily available, but Western food from the hamburger with French fries to German, French, Italian, Spanish, Swiss and Austrian delicacies can be found. On top of that other Asian and Southeast Asian dishes like Chinese and Thai are there to wet your appetite. Since Puerto Galera is a beach community fish and seafood are readily available. Breakfast is most of the times simple. Coffee is of good quality and together with soft drinks and beer everywhere available and cheap.

Hemingway's is consistently voted the best restaurant in Puerto Galera".

Also try Big Apple, Capt'n Gregg's Restaurant, El Galleon Restaurant. Good pizza at end of alley past the discos.
_________
As for topside activities, I am acquainted only with the food and girls, both of which are enjoyable. It's a very small town, and won't take you long to check it out. Massage is cheap, Hash Harriers runners club, shooting range somewhere about. Floating bars during peak season.

Saw this list online:
1. Go deep sea diving.

Explore the underwater world, including approximately 40 world-renowned dive sites around Puerto Galera. From beginners to advanced, the diving here is magnificent.

Ancient shipwrecks, stunning coral and beautiful fish are some of the things you will see while diving here.

2. Island and beach hopping.

Take off for a while. Go from beach to beach, island to island and finish with a barbecue and a party. This is one of the best Puerto Galera activities to do when you’re here.

3. Experience the Puerto Galera nightlife.

If you’re thinking of partying, then you’ll have a great time here. Sabang and White Beach are filled with restaurants, bars, clubs and discos where you can drink and dance the night away.

4. Shoot paintballs in the jungle.

Storm through the jungle with a paintball gun in hand, shooting at the enemies in the trees. You’ll have to move and act fast here, otherwise you’ll end up with a painted face.

At the X-Treme Sports Philippines Adventure Park, you can shoot paintballs. On top of that, you can ride go karts, dune buggies, quad bikes and more. The adventure part is just 10 minutes walk from Badladz Adventure Resort on Muelle Pier.

5. Discover abandoned resorts.

Among Puerto Galera activities, there are a number of abandoned resorts that are very interesting to explore. Some of them are falling apart and are covered in vines while others have stood the test of time. You can walk around them and get a taste of the local history.

6. Be dazzled by marvellous views.

When the Puerto Galera weather is great (almost always), go for a walk on the road to Sabang during the day. Along the way, the jungle canopy stretches overhead and you’ll be afforded marvellous views of the islands and bays surrounding Puerto Galera.

Be sure to take your camera!

7. Play golf on top of a mountain.

At the Ponderosa Golf Course, play golf on top of a 2000 feet high mountain. Whether driving the ball or putting it into the hole, you’ll have incredible panoramic views of the entire Puerto Galera cove.

No gear? Don’t sweat – you can rent golfing gear at the course.

8. Watch the cockfights.

Every Sunday, make your way to the arena and experience the excitement of the cockfights. You can see this activity in Puerto Galera, or you can take the longer trip to Calapan for excellent shopping, great views and a fantastic day.

9. Swim in Tamaraw Falls.

Roughly 10 kilometers from Puerto Galera, Tamaraw Falls are well worth taking the time to visit. Pack lunch and eat a picnic while enjoying the beautiful surroundings. After lunch, take a refreshing swim in the natural pool.

10. Ride into the sunset on a motorcycle.

Rent a motorcycle from Badladz Adventure Resort and take off into the sunset. Explore the island on your own terms and go wherever you get the urge to go. Talk to the locals, seek out adventure and create the experience that you’ve dreamed of.
___

Along with these 10 Puerto Galera activities, there are numerous others. Here’s a quick list of other activities you can do and adventures you can have while in Puerto Galera:

Hiking
Trekking
Native Villages
Swimming
Snorkelling
Scuba Diving & Training
Jetskis
Waterskiing
Banana Boats
Kayaking
Waterfalls
Sightseeing
Lazer Tag
Dune Buggies
Quads
Speedboats
Floating bars
Dancing
Karaoke
Live Bands
Tattoos
Henna
Native Crafts
Safari Boats
Reptile Zoos
Mountain Climbing
Swimming Pools
Sailing and Sail Training
Yachts
Native Boats
Take a boat into Puerto Galera and check out the souvenir shops, or walk to Puerto Galera through the villages on mud roads into the town. Tshirts go for 100 pesos and and bathing suits P160. Wallets made out of a frog can be bought as well.

Snorkeling
You don't have to be a scuba diver to enjoy the ocean! Just grab a pair of fins and a mask and have a great time watching things from the surface.

Trekking tours
Various day or overnight trekking tours to the various attractions of Puerto Galera or though the jungle can be arranged through a local operator. Hike in Puerto Galera's dense mangrove forests, or follow a trail in the rolling hills and mountains, which are a haven for 148 resident and migratory birds, 10 mammals, and 8 reptiles and amphibians.

Waterfalls
Tamaraw Falls
You'll need to hire a jeepney and driver to take you to the falls. There's swimming and picnic area at the base of the falls and a tour guide will usually provide lunch. Tour companies will charge you about P1000 per person including lunch. But if you hire a jeepney it will cost you 1200 total to get there. Bring some friends to split the cost and take along some food for a picnic.

Last edited:
Support the recommendation of Atlantis and Asia Divers, however Atlantis is nearly twice the price of Asia Divers these days.

I always go to Sea Rider, it's away from the night life, but just a 5 minute walk to it. Plenty of restaurants and bars either next to the dive center or on the walk to Sabang. Accomodation is easily arranged to meet all budgets by the dive center.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom