Puerta Vallarta & Pacific Scuba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

94searay

New
Reaction score
For those wondering which Scuba shop to use while in PV, I have the following advice: My Wife and I just returned from a trip to PV last week and wondered whether the recommendation we received from the Scuba board to use Pacific Scuba would turn out to be worthwhile. IT SURE DID!! The Dive Master named Leslie went out of her way to ensure we had a terrific dive. Not only we we pleased with her dive skills and knowledge, but she was a super person to enjoy the dive with. We had read that some of the other dive shops didn't place much emphasis on the safety aspect of our dive, but Pacific Scuba surely did. The pre-dive de-brief was thorough and set the tone for an awesome dive. The best part was the absence of a huge boat full of divers where you get little to no personal attention. Each of us had some special requests regarding the dive destination and things to see, our divemaster ensured that those requests were met. We had several UW pics taken that turned out awesome. Our dive friends are still drooling over the pics and how cool the dive looked. In summary, we both highly recommend using Pacific Scuba, as you can be ensured of a terrific dive with some very friendly and professional staff. We certainly plan to return!

Welcome to SB and good info on PV dive operators. I will be going to PV many times in the future and will take your advice.
David

I went with Vallarta Adventures to a site outside of the Bahia de Banderas known as La Corbetenas on two separate occassions. They took us out on a fairly small boat (20' maybe). The boat ride was about an hour and forty-five minutes straight out...well past the bay.

The site was only visible topside by a few rocks portruding out of the water. I kept thinking, "where the he** have they taken us!" Once we descended I was very impressed with the visibility (60' to 80'...good for that area) and marine life. We saw tons of eels, jacks, sea turtles, puffer fish, etc.

The best part, though, was seeing several huge manta rays. On our first trip in June we saw several. They came right up to us...it was incerdible!!! On our trip in April we saw just one. It was tangled in a fishing net. It, too, swam right up to us. The netting was cutting into its body; but after several attempts, we were able free the manta. Once free it circled us with tremdous speed and quickly disappeared. I'd never seen a manta move so quickly.

Our divemaster, Mario, was very helpful and competent.

Many of Vallarta Adventures' dive trips put you with a huge boat of snorklers and don't go to the best dive sights, but our trip to La Corbetenas was incredible.

Very cool. You won't be disappointed with this PV dive operator. Give a shout and let us know how you dive goes whenever you make your next trip.

EricJ, I too heard that two of the other dive detinations at Banderas Bay had some giant Mantas. I was told that some divers have even had the luck of a Manta allowing them to take a ride on it's back. That must be a radical experience.

We rode the mantas on our trip to PV in June. It was an incredible experience. We then went to Kona, HI and they told us to NEVER touch the mantas because the bacteria we have can be harmful to the mantas. Another DM claims the danger posed to the mantas was overstated by the DM in Kona...who knows?

Yes, Las Corbetenas was truly incredible; however, we went on several other dives that weren't so great. Plus, we often dove with VERY inexperienced divers who were diving sites that were too advanced for them. In one case, we were with a group of eight and only the two of us completed the dive. Others bolted for the surface or never made to the DM's meeting area.

So, PV definitely gets mixed reviews from me, but I'm sure I'll be back. I think I'll try Pacific Scuba next time. Vallarta Adventures was fine, but you're herded to the sites on a party boat. It did make for some enjoyable boat rides back. :wink:

Ditto the experience with Pacific Scuba (Jan 2001). Eric and Richardo were first class DMs. We saw several mantas on our trip but didn't get to ride. Apparently January is prime mating season and they don't want to be touched by divers. The best sites were Marietas and El Morro. I would pass on Los Arcos, as there just wasn't much to see.

If we ever go back to Vallarta, I would have no problem with going out with Pacific Scuba again. Marietas was a great dive but man that was a long ride. Los Arcos was pretty good too until the snorkel boats showed up.

Dove with Pacific Scuba 4/05. Great experience. No complaints. See my review in the forum titled "Puerto Vallarta diving (Pacific Scuba).

Pacific Scuba works with Twin Dolphins and are the best dive shops in PV. I've done over 60 dives with Twin Dolphins in the last few weeks and I think their boats are the best in PV, although Pacific is having a new boat built for later in the summer.
We regularily ride the Mantas either at El Morro or along the coast south to Yelapa. Some let you ride while others are more skittish.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom