Puck Vs Puck Pro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

guruboy

Divemaster
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Hey All,

Does anyone know if the Puck and Puck Pro use the same algorithm? I know they are the same type of algorithm (Mares-Wienke RGBM) but wasn't sure if the details got updated over the years.

Also, any benefits of Puck Pro over regular Puck besides the interface and cosmetics? They seem to have very similar technical specs. I like the idea of the older puck style being removable in case I want to stick it into a console.

Doesn't hurt that the Puck is $150 vs Puck Pro at $200.

TIA

Does anyone know if the Puck and Puck Pro use the same algorithm? I know they are the same type of algorithm (Mares-Wienke RGBM) but wasn't sure if the details got updated over the years.
I expect they may be slightly different. I have a number of Puck's and they vary based on the firmware version. The newer ones are a little bit more liberal.

Also, any benefits of Puck Pro over regular Puck besides the interface and cosmetics? They seem to have very similar technical specs. I like the idea of the older puck style being removable in case I want to stick it into a console.
The Pro will allow gas switching the Puck does not.
The Pro supports firmware update the older Pucks do not the new Puck say they will. (but I haven't seen any firmware update for the Puck)
The Pro provides a bit more dive information on the screen.

If you want to upload your dives they both use a proprietary cable, however there are some lower cost aftermarket option for the puck I have not seen these for the Pro.

I dive the Puck, and I am happy, friends dive the Pro and they are happy. They are both basic dive computers.

Great information. Thanks.

I might stick with the puck then, since this will be mainly a backup.

Back
Top Bottom