PTT communication set up for AGA FFM

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ColdH20diving

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Washington State - somewhere near Vancouver
I'm considering purchasing the OTS PTT Buddy phone for my AGA FFM. I like to know if anyone has any experience using the diver to diver communication systems for FFM's? The idea sounds nice but I'd be interested in comments from people that have used them, what they liked or disliked.

I have used OTS and Cis-lunars offerings for through water communications, I have a couple masks on the way with the Ocean Reef communications to evaluate also.

Have you thought about hooking up with a shop and trying out some different units?

At Vortex spring one of the Ocean Reef dealers was doing a demo day operation with thier mask and comms.

The full advantage of FFM is the ability to communicate. I would make sure the system has an esy to access push to talk button and try to avoid using the VOX voice activated modes. Most VOX operate on noise levels picked up by the mike and will often transmit every time you inhale, the alternative is to adjust the sensitivity down and have to repeat everything twice as the first part of the transmission gets cut off.

Make sure the system can be rapidly recharged or purchase another battery pack. Most systems have batteries capable of 6 to 8 hours if you do not use VOX, but some can take 12 hours to charge. (then again not that big a deal if you have to do without comms either...)

I think overall you are going to enjoy the ability to talk to your buddy without trying to shout through the mask...

Let me know what you decide...

BTW the president and several others from OTS (ex-Navy Deep Sea Divers bless thier souls) are also on this board and may be able to offer you some advice, maybe they will see this post and comment.

Jeff L

Jeff,

Thanks for your reply. I 'm thinking I'll go with the OTS buddy phone PTT set up. I spoke with another diver who used the voice activated set up and was not impressed. I'll get back to you after I give it a try. I see you are from Florida, we were planning a trip to the Keys in April, any suggestions on which dive boat operators to hook up with?

Ron

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom