Ptsd & scuba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yes, thank you very much for your service. i'm sorry you can't dive just yet and hope you have peace with that decision for now. have you looked into snorkeling? i know it's sort of a sucky second choice, maybe, but it might be relaxing. or perhaps free diving, if the risks are less for that.

and maybe this is a bit cheesy, but a big cyber hug to you & your family.

Thanx for the kind words folks. It was my pleasure to serve this country, and knowing all that know now, I'd still do it all over again.

As far as the diving is concerned, my attitude is a variation on this saying - "Doing what is right is not always popular, and what is popular is not always right". I've learned that doing the right thing or making the right choice is not always the fun route to go. Now that I have things settled with the VA and my meds, I figure I can, at least, hang out at the dive shop and watch other people's videos. It would be a good time for me to start doing equipment maintenence for other divers while I'm there also. And, of course, as a divemaster, I still have some fairly good dive knowledge, and I know instructors can always use some help out the pool. So, the sun is still shining, it's just casting a different shadow.

Semper Fi, Dave

All great advice don. I have been doing some research on the web and will continue to do so, but I never thought about talking to a pharmacist before - I know a few and will question them.

As of yesterday, I visited with my 12th doctor. When questioned about diving, he listened to my concern and brief explanation of what happens physiologically to the human body at depth. He smiled and said he didn't know of such occurrences. He went on to say that he had no reason to think that meds should stop me from diving. This is the basic answer that I keep running into when speaking with non-diving physicians.

Anyway, on a brighter note... Because I have learned these CNS depressants seem to have a strong tendency to cause a narcosis rather than an oxygen toxicity problem, I have been thinking of a possible training program. The program would start with 4-6, 30-45 minute pool sessions where my wife and I can see how I react in shallow water. If all is well, then I'll work on proper weighting and buoyancy control, do a full review of all 18 demonstration skills and all emergency procedures. Then, if all is still well, I might consider entering our favorite training site where there is a very gradual slope to 25', and see how I do. After that, there is line available that drops down to 42' that I can consider trying.

Another idea I have is, barring the possibility of an oxygen hit, I'll ask some trimix instructors about the possibility of using a hyperoxic trimix (something like 26/20 - 30/30 maybe) at recreational depths with idea being, to take as much nitrogen out of the mix without increasing the risk of an oxygen hit (which still looms in my mind). I think SSI was offering a "recreational trimix" course about the time I stopped diving. Anyway, I'm just thinking...

Any further thoughts, ideas or chastisements are still appreciated...

Semper Fi, Dave

Would it be possible for you to get in touch with a U.S. Navy or Special Forces dive physician?

Since they are both dive physicians and part of the military maybe they have some experience with Navy or Special Forces divers that were treated for PTSD.

I might be a long shot but it might be worth trying.

Thank you for your service to our country.
It is very unfortunate that you ended up with PTSD while keeping the rest of us safe.

Semper Fi

Sorry for the delay Ron. I do know a few SEALs and I've run across a few Special Forces guys, but their rules on active duty are actually stricter as far as SCUBA, skydiving and meds. I did a skydive with an Army Ranger who just came back from Afganistan a few months ago. He said their rules stated that 72 hours should pass between SCUBA and skydiving, or skydiving and SCUBA - it didn't matter which order you did the activities. He also said no meds more than a motrin are allowed. So, I'm probably better off staying on land or the sky for awhile.

Semper Fi Sir, Dave

Dave,

First, thank you for the sacrifices that you and your family have made.

I am not a dive professional and I am not a clinical psychologist (my specialty is research with children). That being said, when I was in graduate school, I had several friends that did their internships at the VA in Atlanta while they were working on their clinical Psychology doctoral degrees. It sounds like you have worked with physicians and psychiatrists, but have you talked to a Clinical Psychologist? One of the major directions that our profession is trying to address is providing support and services for our military personnel and their families.

You may want to ask you healthcare providers if this is a possibility. There are some pretty big differences in the ways that psychiatrists and Psychologists treat ptsd. Psychiatrists treat from the medical model and often prescribe medications. Psychologists typically do not use medications. I am not saying that one approach is always better the other, but it is something that you might want to investigate. If you do look for a clinical psychologist I would recommend that you try to find someone with a PhD in Clinical Psychology. This can be a little tricky because titles and licensing varies from state to state (sometimes to our professional detriment). Sometimes people can work as counselors with out being trained to the standards that the American Psychological Association (APA) requires. I have a website listed below that has information about the APA and links for finding someone in your area that may be able to offer some help. A good Clinical Psychologist should work with your other health care providers to find something that works for you.

the website for the APA help Center: APA Help Center - Health & Emotional Wellness - "Anxiety Disorders: The Role of Psychotherapy in Effective Treatment"

Best Wishes.

Hey Doc, thanx for the kind words and good information. I have seen a total of 13 Docs both private and VA, some LNPs, MDs, etc... but my private psychiatrist does have a PhD in Psychiatry, and specializes in PTSD along with the other general issues. I don't have a private psychologist, but my regular VA psychologist does have a PhD in Psychology and also specializes in PTSD. I have also spoken with three other PhD Psychologist, two of which, did my disablity evaluations. The other did a 12 week group session, which I did find very helpful, mostly because I realized that I wasn't alone. I felt that I had a good group because all services and wars from Korea to the present wars in Iraq and Afganistan were represented. I found it interesting that no matter what age or what war, we all had simular stories and attitudes, and most of the time we could finish each other's sentences or thoughts. Both of my VA psychiatrists (one transferred) also have PhDs in Psychiatry and specialize in PTSD. I'm not at all opposed to seeing, talking with or being evaluated by more Docs. In fact, while I'm typing this, I realized that it would be a good idea to find a private psychologist who has PhD in Psychology, and maybe has some experience with, or specializes in PTSD.

Anyway, the Docs haven't been able to "talk me down" and the meds most definately "take the edge off".

Semper Fi, Dave

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom