Pt Lobos Monterey Dive 11-24

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ejg62

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
The day after Thanksgiving I had an opportunity to dive Monterey for the first time - location Pt Lobos State Reserve. It was much different than the dives in Southern California - water clearity was much better, new sea critters and much colder water.

In addition I used an Oly C-7070 camera for the first time rather than the 5060. I was frustrated as it was very difficult to focus especially using the close up lens resulting in many deleted pictures. (I have already posted comments/questions on the Oly board regarding the 7070 and focusing.) That said, there were several that have come out well. The pictures below are of sea life I have not encountered before and do not know what they are. If any one knows please reply.

Other wise enjoy:

The first 2 are the best of the day. Are these Sculpins? What kind?
Sculpin_02.jpg

Sculpin_01.jpg

What are the names of the next 3 nudibranchs?
Nudibranch_01.jpg

Is this considered a nudibranch?
Unknown_01.jpg

Nudibranch_02.jpg

This looks like a Sea Cucumber. Actual name is known.
Unknown_02.jpg

Snail_02.jpg

Snail_01.jpg

I had a great couple of dives. Would like to dive in Monterey again in the near future.

Jim G

Excellent job!

Nice pics. Lobos rocks. (Pun intended). Looks like a Coralline Sculpin, Sea Lemon, White Dorid? Don't know the first snail, last one is a Jeweled Snail. I'm sure someone will shoot me down on most of these, as I stink at ID's. The big ugly blob, I can't remember, but they have the name on a sign with species ID's next to the bathrooms at Whaler's Cove. They're common as dirt around here, I'm sure someone will pipe in.

First 2 pics look like a longfin sculpin, but, hard to tell from that angle.

First Nudi is a noble sea lemon (Peltodoris nobilis) often confused with the Monterey Sea Lemon - the distinguishing feature is the Noble has the white gills.
Second one might be a White Nudibranch (Doris odhneri) - Not sure on this one.

The one you have labeled as a Sea Cucumber is actually a Gumboot Chiton (Cryptochiton stelleri)

The others, someone else will have to help you with.

Tim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom