PT-056 or Ikelite housing for TG-3?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

triode12

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I want to get a housing for my newly acquired TG-3 but can't decide on which one.
The Ikelite housing for the TG-3 looks more robust and better made but the lens port seems to obscure the flash on the camera. While the PT-056 has a cold shoe mount which is useful for mounting an external strobe.

Has anyone compared the two housings? Or decided on one over the other? If so - why?

I just bought the pt-056 as I watched the backscatter test on these and they mount the video light to the shoe mount. Have you seen the backscatter video?

Anyone having a great holiday sale on these? I'm in the market for one, too.

Haven't seen the back scatter video. Got a link?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the PT-056 and quite happy with it. All camera functions are available and all buttons are accessible.

Go on the backscatter.com website and look at the reveiw for the tg-3 where you can find info on what was used in the video or the video only is on youtube, it is only short but impressive

I just bought the pt-056 as I watched the backscatter test on these and they mount the video light to the shoe mount. Have you seen the backscatter video?

Thanks for that. I'll have a look. But don't you find the build quality of the PT-056 a bit low/plastic-y esp the buttons/knobs? They look as though they won't take much abuse before breaking. The Ikelite controls are metal.

I haven't seen the ikelite one in person to compare. I haven't been in the water with mine yet as I only dive on holiday (u.k. is too cold for me). Olympus customer service is reputed to be very good should a problem arise but I am very careful with all my dive equipment to be honest. It doesn't look that robust but I suppose time will tell.

The Ike cases are basically the same, with the controls in different places. They are rated deeper - to 200', and have metal controls that can be serviced pretty easily. They're aren't particularly ergonomic in layout or to hold, but some of the buttons are higher and lower. They attach to trays with a two bolt method, but they use a fine threaded non-standard bolt that can be a little harder to find.

The Oly housings are a little smaller and have the controls well-laid out and labeled. They are very easy to hold. I think they're reasonably rugged, seem to stand up to use, but are only rated to 140'. They mount easier to a variety of trays. We sell about 10 to 1 Oly over Ike housings...

Jack

Back
Top Bottom