PT-015: Strobes, lighting, what gives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dr. Jay

Contributor
Reaction score
Got's me a question for the UW photo folks again! :wink:

So it looks like the PT-015 is in my near future, and I was just wondering about an alternative light source. In looking at that housing a little closer, I've noticed this "thingy" covering up the area on the strobe. So, my guess is that this thing eliminates backscatter, but what about getting the right lighting for photos? Am I pretty much screwed without an external strobe?

I'm looking into getting maybe a Sea and Sea tray as seen on UnderwaterDigital.net - at the bottom of the page for Sea and Sea trays - (as soon as I find out the price), but I'm not looking into having to hold my dive light in the right spot to take photos all the time. Is $100 for a used (or cheaper) strobe too much to ask? Or maybe some source of alternate lighting here?

Am I missing anything :confused:

Dr. Jay once bubbled...
Got's me a question for the UW photo folks again! :wink:

So it looks like the PT-015 is in my near future, and I was just wondering about an alternative light source. In looking at that housing a little closer, I've noticed this "thingy" covering up the area on the strobe. So, my guess is that this thing eliminates backscatter, but what about getting the right lighting for photos? Am I pretty much screwed without an external strobe?
If you're talking about the opaque panel that covers the area of the cameras internal strobe, it's called the diffuser panel. No, it does not eliminate backscatter, if anything it makes it worse. One way to avoid or seriously decrease backscatter is to get as close as possible to your subject...the less water/particulate matter the less backscatter. Another way is to use an external strobe, positioned at an angle to your camera...this avoids the direct reflection of light off particulatematter back into the camera.

You can take excellent photos without an external strobe within 3ft of your camera. Olympus has put very powerful flash units in these cameras which also has adjustable strength settings.

I'm looking into getting maybe a Sea and Sea tray as seen on UnderwaterDigital.net - at the bottom of the page for Sea and Sea trays - (as soon as I find out the price), but I'm not looking into having to hold my dive light in the right spot to take photos all the time. Is $100 for a used (or cheaper) strobe too much to ask? Or maybe some source of alternate lighting here?

Am I missing anything :confused:

I doubt you'll find a strobe suitable to use with digital cameras, not all are, for $100. It depends on which strobe you choose to go with your PT-015 but Sea & Sea and Ikelite are the top two contenders. Each has it's own strengths, weaknesses, and requirements. If you have a small spotting light, such as my Princeton Tec Attitude LED light, it will light things enough for you to see and for the camera to take a reading for your flash to do its job. I've seen lots of good night dive pictures using no external strobe.

I am also interested in eventually getting a stroble from my PT-015. I own a light cannon and have seen the special mounts that allow you to mount the light cannon similar to a strobe. How good does a light cannon due in terms of functionality when compared to a strobe? I know I will eventually have to get a strobe, but I need a temporary strobe for the next couple of months. Any suggestions??

If you'll do a search for 'strobe' and 'light cannon' you'll find this

This thread and HERE

You can also go back through these pages and find discussions on this same subject.

AquaGuy once bubbled...
I am also interested in eventually getting a stroble from my PT-015. I own a light cannon and have seen the special mounts that allow you to mount the light cannon similar to a strobe. How good does a light cannon due in terms of functionality when compared to a strobe? I know I will eventually have to get a strobe, but I need a temporary strobe for the next couple of months. Any suggestions??
That's kinda the same info I was looking for too :D.

I'd like to be able to take some macro shots (maybe of a wreck, or other divers - yes, you Matt). Just curious if there was another option that I'm not aware about mounting a light to my housing/tray. I've got a Princeton Tec Shockwave, Surge, and UK Mini Q40. I really don't use the 2 backup (Surge and Q40) at all, and a nice temporary or permanent mount setup for one of them would be nice. The Surge would probably be easier b/c it's got a switch as opposed to a bezel, so it would be a little easier to turn on and off.

This is kinda what I meant. And it's my light, too!

I wonder if they make anything like this for the PT-015???

Think of a strobe as a little bit of sunlight, the same 'color' as the sun. The LED and HID lights produce a blue-white light 'cold' light and flashlights produce yellow warm light. Flashlights, most anyway, will produce a definate spot in your picture. That's why it's frustrating to find something on a night dive and everyone wants to come 'help' you light it up. You photo is almost ruined by all the hot spots in it.

One way to partially eliminate a hot spot is to take some heavy duty aluminium foil, crumple it up then uncrumple and smooth it out. Not too smooth! Now use it to cover the deflector behind the light bulb on your light. The smoother this foil diffuser is, the more of a spot you get...so make sure it's really wrinkled! You only need enough light for your camera to be able to focus and to meter for the flash.

Jay, you say you want to take some macro shots. Don't forget about your internal flash. It's plenty powerful enough to light macro shots.

I believe I have found what I am looking for. Underwaterdigital sells a mount that mounts a UK 100 to a strobe arm.

Light Cannon Mount

Although after reading some previous threads, it appears a Light Cannon will not make a very good strobe.

Oh well, at least I can free up a hand by mounting my Light cannon onto the camera.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom