PT-015 & Light Cannon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AquaGuy

Contributor
Reaction score
I finally got around to getting an Ultra Lite tray, handle and Light Cannon mount. I will try it out for the first time tomorrow and let everyone know how well it works. It should hold me over until I can get a real strobe.

Aqua Guy

Nice setup....took these with a UK D4 (hand held) in Turkey a few months ago www.merith.com

Have now bought a Sea&Sea strobe, flexible arm and stay....would love to add my UK D4 to the other side on a second arm....where did you get the attachment for the arm to the torch ??? My view was that it would be good to have the torch available as well, particularly as I like to take video with my digital camera as well.

Simon

Don't expect too much from the light cannon. Granted that it is very bright, during the day time, it does not add that much light. The light beam is also quite narrow even when its diffuser is installed. If you take a picture from 3 ft away, you will most likely get a hotspot in your picture from the light cannon. It is probably a bit more useful for Macro but I think that the Oly 5050 would be quite sufficient for that especially if the water is quite clear.

Simon, Ultralight makes the mount for the light cannon. The page can be found at UltraLight

I still have not had a chance to try it. Conditions where not good today so I did not go out diving. My main intent of using the light cannon is for Macro and Super Macro shots, so I think it should help out. What I like most about this setup is the fact that I can place the light in any direction I wish with little effort. I can even collapse it down so it is out of the way when not needed.

I've been trying to use my Light Cannon with my Canon s30 and was getting hotspots. The one good pic I got was a urchin in the dark side lit sort of like a planet lit by the sun.

I didn't know there was a diffuser for the LC? Or even any of those accessories to use it as camera lighting . . .I just hold it in my hand. Any tips appreciated. How do proper strobes differ from a Light cannon?

annie once bubbled...
I've been trying to use my Light Cannon with my Canon s30 and was getting hotspots. The one good pic I got was a urchin in the dark side lit sort of like a planet lit by the sun.

I didn't know there was a diffuser for the LC? Or even any of those accessories to use it as camera lighting . . .I just hold it in my hand. Any tips appreciated. How do proper strobes differ from a Light cannon?

When I got my Light Canon, there was a plastic diffuser included in a package. It make the light disperse a bit more although you can still get a hotspot with it.

I am sure Dee will be glad to hear that I have not used my Light Canon since I got my Ikelite DS-125, just used the modeling light for night dive now :)

ssra30 once bubbled...
I am sure Dee will be glad to hear that I have not used my Light Canon since I got my Ikelite DS-125, just used the modeling light for night dive now :)

:rofL: Thank You!

There are two ways to make diffusers for lights. One...cut a piece to fit the inside of the lens out of a plastic milk carton. Place this just inside the glass.

Two....take a piece of heavy duty aluminum foil and crunch it up. Spread it out leaving it very wrinkled. Line the reflector cup with this wrinkled foil. The more wrinkled, the more diffusing, so by trial and error smooth it until you get the effect you want.

Maybe I should add these to the tips section!

At the scuba show in Long Beach last weekend, somebody was telling me that a company now makes official diffusers for the light cannon since it's used by a lot of video divers for lighting. Does anyone know the name of the company that does this?

Try http://www.oceanbrite.com/ as I know that they sell diffusers for the UK D4R.

Thing that they retail for around $56.

Hope this helps,
Simon

:( first impression and it looks like more thought and quality went into the 010 housing!

it is a juggle and a half to get the camera in as you can not push down the program button as per the 010.

the coloured plastic looks like it is a diifferent type to the 010 and does not look as strong.

and the camera does not seem to fit as snug as the 3040 did in the 010.

has anyone else noticed these little niggles?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom