PT-010 lens cover

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aggie Diver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Alright experts,

Where can I get a lens cover for the housing? And what do I need to get?

After dropping some serious coinage on the housing, I'd like to take as good of care of it as possible.

Two weeks, four days until Blackbeard's. =-)

Thanks,

AD

I got a generic snap-on cover for mine at Houston Camera Exchange so I'm sure most any camera shop will have them. Look for one that fits 67mm. It fits just like the lens cap on your Oly camera does. There are two small release levers, one on each side, you pinch in to release. I think I paid less than $5 for mine.

I got a generic snap-on cover for mine...
I had one of those too - until the springs rusted and started creaking.

The outside port dia. of the PT-015 is 70mm. I presume it should be the same for the PT-010.

I found one of those 'easy glide' thingies you put under furniture legs so they slide easily over carpet. It has a rubber rim that fits nicely around the port and a hard plastic disc that protects the glass. The disc is also larger than the rim which makes it easy to put on and remove.

Other possibilities:
- cut beer/soft drink can coolers
- the back cap of PWC-01 wide angle lens (If you can get a spare one)
- unthreaded plastic end cap for pipes (I think US residents can get free samples from niagaraplastics.com)

ReyeR once bubbled...

- cut beer/soft drink can coolers

This works great, especially when you're bouncing around on a boat. I leave it in the rinse tank and put it on as soon as the camera goes in to protect the housing lens. Scratching that lens means a new housing! Besides its cheap and they are available everywhere with no srings or rust. (I had the same experience with a standared lens cap.)

ReyeR once bubbled...

I had one of those too - until the springs rusted and started creaking.

Good point...I hadn't thought that far! I've got drink Koozies all over the place, I'll try that when my cap wears out.

So y'all are saying a koozie will work?

Don't you have to worry about something hard hitting the lens? I wouldn't think a koozie could take anything more than a trivial impact from a hard object and not have the lens crack.

AD

Aggie....If you need to protect your housing port from something hitting it hard enough to crack and breaks it, a simple lens cover is the least of your worries! We're talking about protecting the port from scratches incurred in everyday use and/or while in a rinse bucket with other cameras on a vibrating boat.

Sounds like you need a Pelican case instead of a lens cover! :wink: Actually the foam Koozie will protect it from impacts better than the hard plastic cover I use.

I also use the Koozie for a lens cover. It is a perfect size for the PT-010.

Now, can anyone suggest a lens cover for the Sea and Sea wide angle lens?

Mike

Dee,

Take it easy on me, I'm a newbie :)

I haven't actually gotten to play with my housing or take it underwater (still working out the scratch/crack situation).

I was thinking of when you have your camera in the rinse bucket and someone else comes along and puts theirs in there (like their housing/strobe/etc. hitting your housing lens) etc.

AD

Aggie Diver once bubbled...
I was thinking of when you have your camera in the rinse bucket and someone else comes along and puts theirs in there (like their housing/strobe/etc. hitting your housing lens) etc.
AD

In that case it's usually just 'easy' bumping and rubbing, the Koozie thing would work fine.

Of course you don't have to use the rinse bucket, and I don't when there are several camera systems in one bucket. Just wet a towel and wrap your camera rig in it. It doesn't have to be fresh water, you just want to keep the salt water from drying and forming salt crystals....the wet towel will do that until you get back to shore and can rinse thoroughtly with fresh water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom