PST tanks - good?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Crush

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Are Pressed Steel Tank (PST) HP steel tanks as good as, say, Worthingtons? I believe that the PST tanks are no longer being produced. Any comments or suggestions?

They are a danger to your life. Ship them collect to me and I will dispose of properly.

They are a danger to your life. Ship them collect to me and I will dispose of properly.

Whoa! Thanks for the heads-up! I hadn't previously heard of PST tanks or apparently the dangers they pose! I'll ship them to you ASAP, along with a disposal fee. :)

Seriously, though - are they decent?

I bought two brand new PST MP-72's for my wife last year and they're awesome.
Rated to 3000psi and they're just the right weight for her.
She needs to add NO WEIGHT in a 3mm wetsuit.
If the water were any colder, she wouldn't dive anyway.

PST tanks are just as good as Worthingtons, if you search SB you will discover there is a potential pending issue with the DOT, the special exemption the DOT granted PST back in the day will expire late spring/early summer 2011 I believe, meaning the potential exists, if the exemption isn't renewed, for all the PST tanks to turn into pumpkins at the stroke of midnight or something! Honestly, search SB and you'll find TONS of discussion on this 'issue'.....I'd probably steer clear of PST's until the smoke clears on all that, there just isn't a concensus on if/when the exemption will be renewed.

I've owned two PST HP 120s. One failed its first visual after its second hydro. The other failed a hydro due to over expansion.

The first was used almost exclusively on a SoCal dive boat which may explain why it failed prematurely. The second was used almost exclusively at our dive park and not filled on dive boats. Hot fills were believed to be the cause of that failure.

Fortunately I won't be tempted to buy another PST. In fact, I prefer my neutral buoyancy Al 80 over any steel tank for diving in SoCal.

My pst failed its first hydro also. I found out that pst does not produce tanks anymore. I wonder why

I have several pst tanks they all pass hydo, I have them as old as 98'. I fill myself with a slow fill compressor (no banks) I do fill them with o2 from banks and helium from banks. No rust ever, it depends on how they are stored, and filled.

I met DR BILL when his tanks failed, correct me if I'm wrong bill did you have al that failed also, like a al 90 Or al 100, I did see water drip out of fill whip on dive boat. there tanks yet new water was more than likely in there.

Open tank up and look for your self to see. As far as DOT, take them to a fire supply for hydro and fill yourself.

Happy Diving

I have two PST 130s and never had a problem. They're 7-8 years old.

They do have a procedure for their hydros that needs to be followed. I made sure the instructions were taped on the tanks with clear packing tape when I sent them to be hydroed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom