PST E9791 Permit - can I hydro and VIP or not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MasterMindDiver

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hello Community ,
I found someone who is willing to sell 2 PST E9791 3442 E7-80 for a good price but hydro and VIP expired.
I did some research and noticed that the permit to HYDRO and Refill those tanks expired in Dec 31st 2018. --> http://www.psicylinders.com/documents/sp9791_renewal.pdf

if I buy those tanks , is it possible to Hydro and VIP them and refill or it is better to look for another tanks ?

Also , i noticed that one tank has REE marking and the second does not , is that normal ? or expansion limit shall be explicitly stated on the tank ?

Regards

9790 is Worthington and isn't due for renewal yet.

9791 has been renewed as of October 2018 and is good to 2022
https://www.phmsa.dot.gov/approvals...ile-serve/offer/SP9791.pdf/offerserver/SP9791

If it hadn't been, their hydro becomes invalid and they can no longer be hydro tested unless of course you apply for a permit renewal as an individual, but thankfully you don't have to worry about that for a hot minute.

Hydro shop should have the REE info. REE stamping is pretty inconsistent, most I have seen don't have it on there from PST.

Remember though, those stubby 80's are VERY negatively buoyancy, 8lbs more negative than an AL80, and they are incredibly short. If you are taller than about 5'6" I would recommend avoiding them if for no other reason than you won't be able to sit down properly with them.

My bad .. it is 9791 .. i wrote it wrongly

I am 5’11 ~ 6 but thought it is better to switch to steel tanks for better trim in cold water thanks for the hint and the info tbone1004 :)

9790 is Worthington and isn't due for renewal yet.

9791 has been renewed as of October 2018 and is good to 2022
https://www.phmsa.dot.gov/approvals...ile-serve/offer/SP9791.pdf/offerserver/SP9791

If it hadn't been, their hydro becomes invalid and they can no longer be hydro tested unless of course you apply for a permit renewal as an individual, but thankfully you don't have to worry about that for a hot minute.

Hydro shop should have the REE info. REE stamping is pretty inconsistent, most I have seen don't have it on there from PST.

Remember though, those stubby 80's are VERY negatively buoyancy, 8lbs more negative than an AL80, and they are incredibly short. If you are taller than about 5'6" I would recommend avoiding them if for no other reason than you won't be able to sit down properly with them.

For a rec tank, it's really hard to beat a steel HP100. Buoyancy characteristics are excellent and unless you are a heavy breather, capacity aligns with typical charter boat dive times of 50 minutes. Faber is making a hot dipped galvanized tank so they are again available new. Fabers are a tad bit heavier so I'd look for a Worthington or PST (used). LP tanks are great too (especially if you can get a cave fill from your shop)

My bad .. it is 9791 .. i wrote it wrongly

I am 5’11 ~ 6 but thought it is better to switch to steel tanks for better trim in cold water thanks for the hint and the info tbone1004 :)

at your height you'd be miserable with the lengths of those tanks. If you are looking for steel and want the best buoyancy, go hunt down some Worthington 100's which are about 2lbs more negative than PST 100's, and 3lbs more than Faber 100's

at your height you'd be miserable with the lengths of those tanks. If you are looking for steel and want the best buoyancy, go hunt down some Worthington 100's which are about 2lbs more negative than PST 100's, and 3lbs more than Faber 100's
I think the actual net weight differences are questionable due to different measurement methods. Worthington includes a “valve” but Faber does not. I have no idea what PST does, as I have only ever seen hearsay and never an official PST spec sheet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom