PST E8's in Canada

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

After hearing about the galvanization problem, I though the same thing seahunter. I know of a few guys that would be royally cheesed off if that happened!!

Since, but most accounts my 104's are essential the 130's at a higher PSI, I'll stick with my 104's, thank you very much.

If I want 130cf, I'll pump ehm.

As to the trim/weight shaved off the bottom arguement, I've never had a "bottom" heavy problem......(Although at 120lbs full, I have a general over-all weight problem!!)

yes, they're doubles, of course.

Is there really a problem with the galvanizing? It's hard to believe this company would have a problem with this since they've been doing it forever. I bought a couple of 130's. I'm going to consider this a rumor until I hear otherwise.

bertschb once bubbled...
Is there really a problem with the galvanizing? It's hard to believe this company would have a problem with this since they've been doing it forever. I bought a couple of 130's. I'm going to consider this a rumor until I hear otherwise.

Bert - has Ford or Chrysler never had to recall or stop production on vehicles because of a quality control problem? They've been doing it for a little while as well, you know.

The problem is with current batches they are producing, and I guess in particular, some of the batches that were destined for Canada. If you already have your tanks, I wouldn't worry about it. If you don't have your tanks, then, I will confirm the rumour for you.

SS

I guess I was thinking the galvanizing process is ONE process. Building a car is several orders of magnitude more complex. I just hadn't heard any official word from PST nor seen any confirmed reports about a "problem". It sounded more to me a regulatory problem with getting DOT stamps in Canada.

If there actually was a problem, why have they been available in the US for a few months?

bertschb once bubbled...
I guess I was thinking the galvanizing process is ONE process. Building a car is several orders of magnitude more complex. I just hadn't heard any official word from PST nor seen any confirmed reports about a "problem". It sounded more to me a regulatory problem with getting DOT stamps in Canada.

If there actually was a problem, why have they been available in the US for a few months?

Maybe U.S. divers are allowed to dive lower quality tanks than our friends up north. :D

The answer may be found in someone's earlier comment about waiting for the TC approval and, subsequently, less than optimal conditions at the mfg facility for galvanizing.

I've been involved in design and installation of control systems for wet and powder coat operations for automotive facilities, and they have their share of quality issues also (especially during shake-out) even though they've been doing it a while.

I doubt if there's a conspiracy to keep our friends up north from enjoying the benefits of the new E-8's. :wacko:

bob

I don't know if there is a problem with the coating. I didn't say there was. Notice that I used the words 'supposedly' and 'apparently' which is my way of saying "This is what I heard but I can't confirm it!".
PST told Diversco (and Dan's) that is the reason for the current delay. It may be quite true but, it wouldn't be the first time a company said something like that to cover it's own production and shipping inefficiency.

For the record, in my experience, while there is some history of older galvanized steel tanks not having a good coating, it's very rare. Besides, that problem would be covered by the PST warranty.

I just recently got a shipment of E series tanks in. We had a choice to take delivery weeks ago, or wait for the next batch with the TC rating included. We opted to wait and got the tanks last week. I think it's only the 130's we were waiting on.

As far as the galvanizing goes, that is never an exacting science. I'm sure they are very good at it, but there are always variables and sometimes mistakes in the process. There's a difference between the first and last tank that's processed in each batch. The one good thing is PST GUARANTEES their tanks for 5 years. If there is a problem with the coating, it will certainly show up during that period of time. I don't think there's anything to worry about. Definitely not as much as paint on other manufacturers tanks (remember the Catalina problem).

.... as I was saying, it's not a problem.
Certainly not for the divers anyway.

PST certainly will stand by their tanks to the point of calling me...the end consumer personally to check out a the issue of a small rust spot where some slag had compromised the galvanizing.

Although the return was handled between the store and diversco they offered, and were more than happy to step in along the way to expediate the process if need be by confirming that this was a warranty issue and should be handled without question.

Great tanks and a big thumbs up on customer service from my standpoint.

BTW no problems at all with my replacement tank.

d33ps1x, which ones do you have? I found a couple of E7-120s today (the tank fairy paid me a visit). And on one of them, there was some ink on it (from someone who exchanged the cylinder) and the guys at the store said to rub some alcohol to remove it. So I did, and there are now some shiny spots on the tank. I was worried about this at first, but someone said that this was not a problem.

What happened with your tank to get the rust spots?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom