PST E Series 120Cu Ft Tank Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mikestairs

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey Guys, one of these tanks just came up for sale in my local classifieds, guy says it was made about 6 years ago. will need hydro/vis

anyone have any experience with these tanks? any info will be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

I have 2 and love them. They are taller and heavier than an AL80 which is good for a tall person. Their buoyancy characteristics were easy for me to work with. Overall a great tank for me.

One thing to ask shops near you though......the Canadian DOT ticket (terminology?) needed to be renewed by someone or the tanks could not pass Hydro....I am not sure what is happening with this.

PST went out of business a few years ago, and has been mentioned, the tanks legality in Canada is questionable. Fortunately (in the USA at least) the DOT exemption was renewed a few months ago, so these PST tanks are still legal in the USA. The exemption has to be renewed every few years, so in something like 3 or 4 more years it will have to be renewed once again by 'somebody'. If you search the threads there is a bunch of LONG stories/details about the exemption saga here in the USA for a bankrupt company like PST. If you buy PST HP tanks you will live in fear that one day the exemption will be allowed to die and those tanks will become paperweights, so you are taking your chances. I have no idea what the situation in Canada is, it was enough of a pain in the azz keeping with with the sorry saga here in the USA. I will keep my 6 HP PST tanks as long as I can, they're great tanks, just a victim of regulatory/economic bad luck.

Yikes, what a hassle. Glad I asked before spending money on a potential paperweight, from something as simple as not getting a permit renewed.

From what I have been told by a local hydro facility a few months ago was that Canada usually follows the US as far as regulations on scuba tanks. So I would imagine we are on the same page with anxiety over getting the permits renewed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom