PSI Inspection course review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rookers

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
On Saturday, 4/14, I took a PSI visual inspector's course from Ed Kasten in Littleton Co. The course was held at Arapahoe Community College in a normal classroom.
Ed is vastly experienced and brings with him great deal of knowledge.
The course consisted of a mix of horror stories about cylinder abuse, neglect, and the resultant mayhem, lecture on DOT standards, and practical, hands on work. Ed brought a large array of sample cylinder sections, sad excuses for valves, and other examples of problems. At the end of the day we split into teams and performed three inspections, filling out the requisite paperwork.

All in all, a good, informative course. I would have liked to have heard more about special considerations for cylinders destined to hold O2 rich mixes, but I feel well qualified to begin looking over bottles myself.

Took the course with Ed in 1996, in Denver at Underwater Phantaseas. Agree with your assessment. I recall being amazed at how much there is to learn about what seems such a simple device, and wishing the class was longer than the 8 hours we did. Periodic updates with Bill High at DEMA have always been quite useful too, and I highly recommend them.

Back
Top Bottom