PSD dive team funding options

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NorthWoodsDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am a new member of a local volunteer dive team and I am trying to find outside sources for funding. The sheriffs dept controls our slim budget so any extra team costs must be paid for through donations or grants but I am finding it hard to locate grant money that dive teams are elidgable for. Seems like everything is for fire fighters and EMS but we cant apply. Does anyone here know of good places to apply for grants from.

Right now the team is all volunteer members and all the equipment is supplied by the members with the exception of the AGA masks (7) and some specialty rigging gear (plus 7 tanks). I am not apposed to supplying my own gear but the team needs a new dive vehicle and some more tanks and a compressor w/ cascades would be a huge upgrade. Right now we have no compressor so all the tanks are filled at the fire dept but getting fills there is an ever increasingly difficult task because they are all volunteers also. There is an endless list of things to spend money on (as you are all well aware of) but the basic essentials is all we are really looking to get in the near future but I will apply to what ever grants I can in hope of getting everything we need.

If anyone knows of the agencies to apply through it would be a big help. Thanks so much

The most common sources are the Assistance to Fire Fighters Grant program. Since it appears you have been in business, you are not expanding into a new area. If you are a regional team versus just a single department will allow you to apply for a regional grant as well.

Check with your state and federal legislators as they may have availability to provide some Walking Around Money (pocket cash for pet projects). With what had occurred with the Rt 35 bridge, they may be very willing to anty up some funds.

If you are governed by the Sheriff's department, there may be DHS money available for PD's which you could apply through the Sheriff's department. Since I am also FD and not PD, perhaps some of the PD members could help here.

Take a look at various business's or corporations you might have in your area. Many of them have community grant programs which will not give huge amounts, but may provide smaller amounts which will allow you to add equipment.

Beyond those, I really don't know of any specific funding sources.

Hope it helps.

Dan

Check out the Dive Rescue International website and click on grants. Hopefully some of the information there will help get you started.

http://www.diverescueintl.com/events.html

Good luck!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom