PSD Dive related sickness!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm a PSD for a Florida Law Enforcement agency. I recently received a bacteria infection in my lungs that the Doctors state was related to my PSD diving. Workman's Comp covered, but I'm still getting teased for getting sick from fellow PSD divers. I know some of it is in good fun, but it makes me want to think twice to report something like this again in the future. I don't think I should feel this way, but don't want to let my fellow divers know it. confused?

How did your fellow PSD divers find out? Did you tell them? If so ... don't. Medical care is, by Federal Law, supposed to remain confidential.

I know, but i was out of work for a week and had to let my Lt. know. Workman's Comp you know. I had a fever over 104. Not good. Anyways, better now. I just feel like I have something to prove to the other guys. Maybe it's just in my head. I like all of the guys on the team. We seem to get along okay. I'm just afraid of letting them down.

I'd be more concerned with my relationship with a team that I have to depend on, yet whose health I was not concerned enough about to openly discuss the problem. It sounds to me like a change in equipment is in order to protect you and your buds.

Sorry you got sick. Do you know what may have caused it?
I would expect you breathed some mist from contaminated water. Were you using a scuba reg or FFM or helmet? It may be wise to dive fully encapsulated with double exhausts, etc to keep from getting a re-occurence.

I dove a marina fire that destroyed about 80 boats looking to recover evidence on whatever may have started the first boat fire.The site was heavily polluted with fuel, hydraulic fluid, acid and holding tank slop, cinders, etc. that was contained by oil booms. I had charred wood get into my exhaust valve and I could feel mist entering my hat. I had to terminate my diving. I ended up doing the workmans comp thing as well. Live and learn. I would no longer dive that environment with the same gear.

Not sure what chemicals I was in but even after breaking down my equipment and decontaminating it, all my exhaust valve seals went from being flexible and supple to having the consistency of old newspaper by the next day. No telling what it did to my lungs.

I know what you mean Jeff. We have since ordered full face with coms with dry suits.

I fear that an FFM with coms on a dry suit is not an adequate solution. The recommended gear is a fully enclosing hat with double exhaust valves mated to a drysuit that is equipped with a neckdam specifically designed for that hat. We used a setup like that with a SL-17 and SL-27, expensive, but really nice to use.

It would be nice to have that gear if needed. I do worry about what's in the water sometimes. We (volunteer dart) recently did a weapon search for an area pd. Our standard gear is the exo 26. Their county dive team wouldn't go into the water (slough next to the road) until a environmental water report was done and $$$ funds transfer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom