Provo trip report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nikyyo

Contributor
Reaction score
Spent the last 8 nights in provo diving with Caicos Adventures and staying at the Comfort Suites. I can recommend them both highly. CA was by far the most professional and competent dive op I have ever been with. Their boat, the Caicos Cat, is beautiful and even with as many as 20 people on board it is roomy. During the week we had between 5 and 20 people on board. I also had the opportunity to dive with FIfi on the smaller boat with 2 other divers. Fifi was our Dm for 3 dives during the trip. He is really a nice guy and helped me with many aspects of my diving. The Comfort Suites was a very nice, conveniently located hotel. About a 5 minute walk to the beach and restaurants all around...no need to rent a car and we didn't. Be aware there are 3 floors and no elevator (the no smoking rooms are on third floor). They even gave us a 100 dollar beverage credit whgich I thought was nice.

The diving was pretty good, great visibility (most times) and there were many sightings of reef sharks and eagle rays. I would characterize the walls there as structurally breathtaking but not as lush as I expected. There also were not a lot of smaller life around the coral heads or walls.

The food was grossly overpriced pretty much everywhere with the quality, in my opinion, just average. The one exception was Caicos Cafe (thanks for the the recommendation tim). There I had the best grouper of my life. Danny Buoys was also one of the better places I ate at: an Irish pub on Grace Bay Road. Other restaurants we ate at were: Coco bistro, hemingways, calico jacks, 21 north and barefoot cafe.

All in all a very enjoyable trip with terrific weather every day. Tim: I sent Fifi your regards. If anyone has any questions feel free ti Im me.

Sounds like fun Nik....I just got back from Bonaire myself.

Hey,...did you ever get that pony bottle you were thinking about? Why or why not??
rich

Glad you had fun. Did you make it out to French Cay?

Hi Rich....yes I have bought the pony. The only thing is I have yet to take it on a trip with me. I bought a 13cu with a oceanic reg. I am reluctant to pack it because of the way TSA rules are written regarding compressed gas cylinders: it makes no allowance for empty cylinders.

Yes Tim we did go to French Cay. We did it on the three tank safari. We dove Double D, Rock ANd Roll, and G spot. G spot was probably the best dive of the trip.

nikyyo:
Hi Rich....yes I have bought the pony. The only thing is I have yet to take it on a trip with me. I bought a 13cu with a oceanic reg. I am reluctant to pack it because of the way TSA rules are written regarding compressed gas cylinders: it makes no allowance for empty cylinders.

Yes Tim we did go to French Cay. We did it on the three tank safari. We dove Double D, Rock ANd Roll, and G spot. G spot was probably the best dive of the trip.

You can take your pony in your checked luggage as long as the valve is out.

http://www.tsa.gov/public/interapp/editorial/editorial_1190.xml

Thanks for the info, it's certainly much appreciated. I'll be running copies of that form and travelling with my pony now.

Ron...NIk....
actually the TSA written rule say either check in or carry on...unless they modified it since last week. NOW>>>>having said that....every TSA rep I talk to wants it in the check in baggage. I did that for my trip to Bonaire last week and I had no problems. I did print off their ruling and wrap it around the bottle in a document protector...\

and I did drain it and remove the valve as required.

Dont ya just love the government/????

later
rich

nikyyo:

Headed back in Ferbruary, 2005. Can't wait to hear the whales!

Back
Top Bottom