Provo "Royal West Indies Resort"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
:dazzler1:

What is the Royal West Indies Resort like? I am planning on staying there in June and Diving with FIFI Caicos Adv. Any info is appreciated.

Arnyboomerali:

What is the Royal West Indies Resort like? I am planning on staying there in June and Diving with FIFI Caicos Adv. Any info is appreciated.

I stayed at the Royal West Indies for 3 weeks in September 2003. It was very nice indeed, if a little quiet. I was there in the low season though. Nice rooms, fully kitted out with kitchen and washing machine/dryer as well as the usual stuff. Good restaurant and bar, and great staff. The beach, Oh boy the beach....fantastic.
I dived with Fifi, and it was fine, but he does go exclusively to West Caicos. It was great, lots of sharks, eagle rays, and always a big barracuda joining you on the safety stops. I wanted to see more however, and went with Dive Provo, who took me to French Cay, as well as the local sites in Grace Bay. If you can get To French Cay, don't miss it. The best diving from Provo without a doubt. They were a great bunch of people too.
The only problem with Turks and Caicos is the price. Everything is expensive, even if you shop at the supermarket and cook for yourself. You will also need a car to get around, and the roads are interesting. If it rains you could probably dive in the holes in them.
Despite the prices though, it's a lovely place to be, far less developed than most of the caribbean, and Provo has lots to do and see. Have a great time.
David

Arnyboomerali:

I was in TCI April of 2004 for a week. Awesome place to dive. Fifi is an excellent operator. The island is very relaxed and somewhat primative but an excellent place to vacation. We stayed at The Sands. When we were there diving, others had also dived with other operators. They stated that Fifi is by far their favorite. Though he does favor West Caicos, you will not be disappointed. Lots and lots of sea life. Also while you are there, you must snorkel Smith's reef. Lots of Eagle Rays are there. Easy beach entry. Hope you have a great time. We are returning spring '06.

Fifi is indeed a fun fellow to go diving with. They give you all the freedom you want. As far as I know he doesn't go to Northwest Point. I enjoyed NW point every time I went and ran into sharks (friendly reef) just about every time as well. It is a nice site as are West Caicos and French Key. Don't forget about the 3 tank on Thursday - usually to French Key.

We dove the TCI Aggressor last June and stayed at the Royal West Indies for a couple of days beforehand. Its lovely -- very relaxing, nice rooms. As mentioned, its an expensive island in terms of food. There is an enormous amount of development going on -- road reconstruction, sidewalks (in the Carribbean!). Its been 8.5 years since I first went to TCI and the place has been transformed in that period.

sdwho

Arnyboomerali:

None of the dive operators dive exclusively at any one location. Caicos Adventures, however, does not dive Northwest Point except as a charter. Operators may seem to favor one location over another but thats usually a consideration of weather and vis rather than a preference by the captain or DM.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom