Provo-GrandTurk safe flight?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheWizard

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm scoping out a (first) dive trip to T&C and am thinking it'll be fun to dive both Grand Turk and Provo for 3 or 4 days each.

What about the flight in the middle between the two places? Who has expert knowledge on how we should deal with this? The standard 24 hours of no diving prior to a flight?

Or does the island hop only get up to 1500 feet and thereby allow safe passage without giving up diving entirely the day before?

The airlines will not guarantee altitude or flight ceiling due to the possibility of weather. Odds are low that they would get that high but why risk it? BTW I use 18 hours not 24 for flight restrictions.

After my initial posting, I googled around a bit and even emailed the two local airlines.

Captain Williams, the director of flight operations at Sky King replied:
"Hello we have four aircrafts they’re all pressurize and on a trip between provo and Grand Turk the cabin will remain at sea-level at all times, I hope this answers your question"

He didn't QUITE answer my question, which was what altitude they typically do the flights at, but if really pressurized down to sealevel, then it should be a non issue.

I'll have to revisit this more seriously once I get to booking flights and dive operators. But I'm looking at doing an AM 2-tank dive on Grand Turk, then doing the 3:45 PM flight back to Provo.

That way, if we survive the flight, we'll be in good to dive Provo the next day with Fifi...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom