Proud new owner of some stuff

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

creamofwheat

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Cool.

Apparently I have a face that, like, every mask fits. I never had a problem with leakage with the generic rental masks, ever. Oh sure, they leak, but not enough to be a concern. Anyway, I went to my LDS to make my first purchases and began trying on masks. Yea, every one I tried stuck to my face amazingly well. The guy that was helping me just chuckled and said I was lucky, because that meant I could pick any mask. But that's hard! After some education in the mask department by him, I decided to go with an Aqua-Lung Mythos. Makes me look like a fly with huge bug eyes, and I liked the big huge vision field in front of me, and i liked how I actually had peripheral vision. I also like the ease of nose-pinching (oh yes, I pinched to my heart's content!)

And of course, if I am buying a mask, I may as well buy a snorkel to go with it, right? I went for an Aqua-Lung Impulse 2....the removable mouthpiece drew my attention. I have a fun habit of grinding my teeth, and thus I tend to gnaw on things that are in my mouth. Being able to replace the mouthpiece without replacing the whole thing is a plus for me.

And what's a mask and snorkel without fins? I may as well get the whole set. It just so happens my OW instructor walks in at this point and starts counselling me on fins, alongside the guy who works the store. I decided to NOT go for split fins, as they advised me that they are not-so-good for the wonderful frog kick. I did in fact go for the mares volos...they seem to be good for what I am looking for in a fin for now.

Can't wait to test it all out on the weekend.

Though I admit, I have no money, being the poor university student that I am. Thank god for credit cards.

I had mucho fun ransacking my LDS. Now to save up for a dry suit.

creamofwheat:
Thank god for credit cards.

Did you hear that? I think that was the sound of every man on the forum wincing. :D

Be prepared to sacrifice every spare cent from school on diving. Be prepared to shorten your course list to buy a BP/W. Be prepared to postpone a semester entirely for that drysuit and regulator.

Not to take $ out of your LDS shop's pocket, but as a student you might try the used market for some stuff. Lots of people try diving, buy all sorts of gear, use it 6 months and never touch it again until it is time to clean out the garage.

First certified as a student and bought everything but mask and wetsuit top used. Saved a bunch of cash and had top quality gear. You do need to spend time at it and get good advice before buying however.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom