Protune off with no lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divingpyrate

Contributor
Reaction score
So all the reading I am doing is protune on wb camraw
but I just did some above water tests and protune turns off noise reduction and it was terrible
If you are not diving with lights should you leave protune off?

I am one of those who likes to shoot protune on camraw wb lights or no lights.

For me and my eyes, protune on camraw wb with a filter worked best. I get a flat level color balance that looks great after a little boost in contrast in editing. I did not notice any excessive noise in my footage. Narrow mode looked noisy and low resolution to me. Auto WB had too much contrast, color saturation and unpredictability to me.

People have different tolerance levels to noise, color balance, contrast levels, resolution, etc.. Protune might be too noisy, camraw might be too flat for you if you don't want to adjust contrast and/or color in editing. If you don't want to edit, auto mode might be your best choice.

It's actually not that difficult to change settings underwater. However, it might take a dive or 2 before you decide what settings you like. As a starting point, watch people's videos and when you find some you like, find out what settings they used and what if any adjustments they did in editing.

Thanks
Pretty comfortable post processing. Normally with Premier pro.
We are not deep divers, we dive mostly in Cozumel and I like to keep to the colorful reefs.

So hopefully it will be sunny. I have the SRP CY filter coming for the 3 and planned to use it deep and pop it off on the shallow dives
The video I took was from my car on an overcast day in a parking garage. doubt it will get that dark on my dives

Your posts have been very helpful, and I thank you for taking so much of your time to post your findings.

I think you will be fine with the filter on the shallow dives. I use filters as shallow as 10 feet. Besides, it's easier to color correct UW footage that is too red than too blue.

I'm going to Coz in July. It's been 7 years since my last visit. Looking forward to the great visibility.

Are you using the 3 black or 3 silver? The silver will be quite a bit noisier then the black with protune on, as it shares the sensor form the hero 2 which does get noisier pretty quick in lower light with pt on. The black I have found does really quite well wit pt on and doesn't get too noisy unless its very low light but regular daytime diving to 30m should be OK.

As Ron says with the filter best to keep it on quite shallow even at 3m you can get good results and if using pt and cam raw you can easily correct shallow footage that's a little too red. Just keep it off as you enter the water and exit it if you want to use these shots, though even they can be corrected if the filter is on, but a wet filter should be put on underwater to avoid bubbles or at least quickly taken off and put on as you just get below the surface.

the black shooting 1080p medium 60fps protune camraw
Just had a major breakthrough on workflow. Using cineform to grade and set to different frame rate
then dont export to mp4 just pull the avi into premiere pro and after effects
sheer awesome

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk 2

Just had a major breakthrough on workflow. Using cineform to grade and set to different frame rate
sheer awesome

What frame rate did you change it too?

never changed it, 60fps, it was just dark in the garage. Have to remember it is an outdoor camera. I doubt if any of my dives will be that dark

sheer awesome

I believe GoPro field of view options are done by the camera cropping what the sensor sees. Some suggest shooting 2.7k at the widest field of view for the best picture quality since it uses the full sensor capabilities. 30 fps should be better in low light than 60 fps. Although many like 60 fps for fast motion. I skipped Cineform and edited the raw files in Premiere. Premiere on my PC had no problem with the raw 2.7k files. Since I was very happy with the speed of editing and the color after adjusting contrast, I did not bother converting in Cineform 1st. There is more than one way to setup a workflow process. Would be interesting to see how the visual results compare. Wish I had the time to do a comparison.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom