Protection for Galapagos in late March

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KidDocDMC

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My son and I will be in the Galapagos over spring break. There isn't enough time for a live aboard, so we are opting for Scuba Iguana. I know it is the "warmest" part of the year there, though not warm by usual standards. Can one get by with a 3mm or 5mm at their sites, or will we have to go with 7? The dive shop seems to be indicating that time of the year may be fine for a 3mm, but everyone on other forums just says "The Galapagos are COLD. Go 7mm or dry." We dove Sharm in April this year, and 5mm was barely enough. However, that water was in the low 70's and the charts say that the Galapagos should be in the upper 70's to low 80's in March.

My son and I will be in the Galapagos over spring break. There isn't enough time for a live aboard, so we are opting for Scuba Iguana. I know it is the "warmest" part of the year there, though not warm by usual standards. Can one get by with a 3mm or 5mm at their sites, or will we have to go with 7? The dive shop seems to be indicating that time of the year may be fine for a 3mm, but everyone on other forums just says "The Galapagos are COLD. Go 7mm or dry." We dove Sharm in April this year, and 5mm was barely enough. However, that water was in the low 70's and the charts say that the Galapagos should be in the upper 70's to low 80's in March.
Hi:

In Jan. 2020, I dove in the Galapagos, including near Wolf and Darwin Islands, in a 5-mm full suit, no hood, and was fine. Also part of the warmer time of year. We did need gloves, at least for some of the diving we did, due to the need to grab abrasive rock to hold position in current and 'watch the show.' We never used reef hooks on the trip.

But this is individual! I'm chubby; in 76 degree water I've dove with no wetsuit, and it was a bit chilly but as long as I wasn't still for long, on one dive, not a problem. I can dive around 65 degree water in a 5-mm full suit with no hood or gloves and be okay for at least one dive. In the low 70's, my 3-mm shorty would probably be fine. My point: temperature tolerance is individualized, with you lose body heat with repeat diving.

If a 5-mm full suit was barely enough for you in the low 70's, and you anticipate upper 70's+, where's what I suggest...take a hood as an optional add-on. Wear a good set of gloves (that you don't mind getting a bit scraped up), which may help a little.

My prediction (which is not particularly well-qualified) is that you don't need a 7-mm suit, much less a dry suit.

My Research Notes from Planning Galapagos Trip
Humboldt Explorer Jan 13-20, 2020 - Humboldt Explorer Jan 13-20, 2020

All the above is excellent advice. My comments are on "gloves". I would leave conventional dive gloves at home--their finger tips will get all chewed up on rough surfaces--at least mine did. What I recommend instead, is a glove-liner type material. The print on mine reads: DAKOTA, CE, EN 388, 3131X. They do not destruct on the rough surfaces, they do not compromise dexterity, they afford some insulation value and are available in a few sizes. They were also really cheap: 2 or 3 pairs for $10. Over the years, I have done 5 trips to the Galapagos--my first few trips I returned with chewed up finger tips on my conventional dive gloves that you would buy in any dive shop. On my most recent trips, I used my the Dakotas--they are still in excellent shape. Will try to take a photo later, and attach (no promises there as I am not very tech-savvy).

All the above is excellent advice. My comments are on "gloves". I would leave conventional dive gloves at home--their finger tips will get all chewed up on rough surfaces--at least mine did. What I recommend instead, is a glove-liner type material. The print on mine reads: DAKOTA, CE, EN 388, 3131X. They do not destruct on the rough surfaces, they do not compromise dexterity, they afford some insulation value and are available in a few sizes. They were also really cheap: 2 or 3 pairs for $10. Over the years, I have done 5 trips to the Galapagos--my first few trips I returned with chewed up finger tips on my conventional dive gloves that you would buy in any dive shop. On my most recent trips, I used my the Dakotas--they are still in excellent shape. Will try to take a photo later, and attach (no promises there as I am not very tech-savvy).
These are the "liners" that I purchased locally: very thin, but very functional.

Attachments

• DIVE GLOVES.jpg
    DIVE GLOVES.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 85
I stayed in Puerto Ayora for a few weeks in March 2014 and did day trips.

I used rental gear.

The water temp was most definitely not in the 70s or 80s. We were diving along the east side of Santa Cruz, and up around Baltra Island (where the airport is located).

I was REALLY COLD in a 7mm wetsuit for all of my dives. It was quite unpleasant. Next time I am going dry.

I stayed in Puerto Ayora for a few weeks in March 2014 and did day trips.

I used rental gear.

The water temp was most definitely not in the 70s or 80s. We were diving along the east side of Santa Cruz, and up around Baltra Island (where the airport is located).

I was REALLY COLD in a 7mm wetsuit for all of my dives. It was quite unpleasant. Next time I am going dry.
Harry,

Thank you. That’s exactly the time and the place that we’ll be visiting. We are not trained in dry suits. Disappointing to hear that 7mm may not be enough. After diving Sharm last spring, I had sorta thought we could do something warmer next year. I shouldn’t have jumped on that hotel discount so fast.

I thought you meant protection from the Chinese fishing fleet. Nevermind.

I was there in July. I used a 5 mil. On a few colder sites, I added a 1-2mil hooded vest, which was plenty.

We were there in May/June and dove in 7mm suits. It is colder around the main islands and warmer around Wolf and Darwin. If you dive warm a 5mm is probably fine. If after the first day you find yourself cold just add a 3mm shorty from the shop. Several people did that - though we were on a LOB.

I shouldn’t have jumped on that hotel discount so fast.
Hotels in Puerto Ayora are dirt cheap. We stayed in an air-conditioned room at a nice little hostel for $15 per night. That's pretty typical. There are tourist hotels that charge anywhere from $50 to $300 per night, but these places are easily avoided.

Back
Top Bottom