Protecting the Camera/Housing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

khsjsilver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I dive with a Canon S80 and the Canon underwater housing. I always put the camera in the housing in my hotel room before I leave for the dive. Then I wrap the case/housing in a towel and put the camera/case in my dive bag.

There must be a better way to protect the camera/housing before and after the dive than wrapping it in a towel. What do other do or use?

Thanks,

Ken

I use a collapsible cooler. $6 from Target. Keeps the temperature right, is padded for protection, has a nifty strap to carry it with, is my own personal rinse tank. Small so stores almost anywhere and is easy to keep out of the way on even a tiny dive boat.

Want hard side protection? Add a piece of tupperware to the inside of the cooler and get some foam cut to fit your camera - or use bubble wrap or a shammy towel <- great coz then everything is packed that you need :)

Ditto the cooler - I have used one for years, for anything from a PnS to a dSLR with two strobes.

Also prevents the camera from completely drying out between dives if there is nowhere to rinse it.

Guys, could you clarify the idea about using coolers - do you fill them with water or just put cameras inside?

I am thinking about going for a short trip to Dahab, Egypt and they mostly do shore diving there, which sometimes include travels in 4x4 on desert - I am really worried now about keeping my camera/housing from drying out..

Mine doesn't have water in it til I am rinsing. Normally it's just empty bar the housing etc.

I get out of the ocean, stick the rig in the cooler and forget about it until I'm back in my room/house/shop wherever if there is no access to fresh water. Heck, most of the time even when there is access on the boat I still just wait til I can get back to land to deal with it.

I do the same thing OP without the towel wrapped around it & hand carry it(not in my dive bag).....Immediately put housing(with camera) in the camera tub on the boat.......Has never failed me in over 50 abroad trips since '94 when I 1st starting shooting UW...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom