Protecting sync cords in luggage?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bogdan

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm just wondering what techniques people have for safely packing their sync cords in carry on luggage while traveling. Is there a particular container that's well suited for this? (Thus far I've put them in a circular plastic takeout food container, but it's bulky and doesn't seem to offer much protection if the top were to come loose). I've thought about putting them in the housing along with the O-rings, external flash and other small items, but I'm thinking that that space may be better used for the actual camera body. Just curious what others are doing. Thanks!

I'm just wondering what techniques people have for safely packing their sync cords in carry on luggage while traveling. Is there a particular container that's well suited for this? (Thus far I've put them in a circular plastic takeout food container, but it's bulky and doesn't seem to offer much protection if the top were to come loose). I've thought about putting them in the housing along with the O-rings, external flash and other small items, but I'm thinking that that space may be better used for the actual camera body. Just curious what others are doing. Thanks!

My go wrapped in a bathing suit. I catalog them as comparatively fairly durable and don't wrap them in my wetsuit like my lens.

i place my gear in a heavier duty take out food container that you buy in bed bath and beyond. Any extra space gets filled with socks. Also i use this box for my dry box during my trip.

I leave mine attached to the strobes and housing and keep them in a storm case.
_DSC0994.JPG

On my last trip i packed my backpack with 3 or 4 (heavy dutty)plastic containers for my photo/batteries etc. When the tsa asked to remove all my items from my packback it was so easy. I took out the containers, they asked to open the tops and then the tsa looked at the items, closed the tops, put it back in the bag. Took under a minute. Then my buddies finish the same tsa inspection after 5 minutes. They were so annoyed that all there gear was scattered all over the tsa tables.

I recommend everyone to compartmentalize there backpacks with the plastic containers.

When you travel, what camera gear do you check in and what do you carry on?

I'm planning on traveling with a framed internal backpack with my dive gear in there. I figure I'll put the camera housing/dome disassembled and wrapped in clothes somewhere near the core in the protection of my BCD. Tray in there too.

To carry on I'll have my camera, lights, reg, and dive computer.

I used to carry my camera, lenses and ports in my backpack but got tired of hauling them around from airport to airport. Now I put a lens on my camera and stick them in my housing with a port. I leave my synch cords attached to the housing and strobes. Everything else gets stuffed into the Storm case and into checked luggage.
_DSC0983.JPG

Merry likes to take her stuff apart.
_DSC0992.JPG

Thanks @MaxBottomtime. So you just check it all. I guess strobes and housing are fairly durable; I'll check mine too! And the packing of the components look like a good idea.

Also great call with the power strip.

We always take two power strips with all the chargers involved.
I like the Pelican Storm case because it's waterproof, crush proof and I don't worry about camera and strobes being damaged by baggage handlers tossing it around.
pelican-im2450-storm-waterproof-gun-case.jpg

Attachments

• pelican-peli-im2300-storm-hard-case-padded.jpg
    pelican-peli-im2300-storm-hard-case-padded.jpg
    190.3 KB · Views: 90
This time I went with a specialized camera backpack Lowepro Fastpack BP 250 AW II - A Travel-Ready Backpack for DSLR. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00U3TQR6O/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It has easy to open compartments to pull the camera for TSA, and laptop, and not have to open the whole backpack. If you do, it is all compartmentalized and they can just look at everything battery, charger, etc., without pulling it out. I did the Hard case last time and it was a hassle and cost me.... I had to carry it on some flights and it is heavy. Forget that. I have slimmed down the weight on everything from BCD to Camera now due to the weight restrictions on baggage. If I had big strobes I would probably put them in my checked bag, but the new smaller LED strobe and video light models I can carry everything photo with me and my dive computer. I am using the DC2000 system now not a big DSLR anymore.

Back
Top Bottom